Vice President, Total Rewards at Whole Foods Market
In this capacity, the VP will bring a strategic vision to the definition of our total rewards policy for the Regional and the Global Support (corporate) office. The selected candidate will continue to evolve our compensation and benefits strategy.
This leader will work collaboratively with all members of the TMS senior leadership team, while also partnering with HR leadership within Amazon. This position will manage core compensation and benefits administration operations and programs for over 100,000 Team Members in the U.S., U.K., and Canada.
Role location: Global Support Office in Austin, TX.
- Provide strategic and operational leadership in the design, development, implementation, administration, and communication of our compensation programs
- Build, lead, develop and mentor a high performing team that is results oriented and delivers exceptional customer service
- Design, develop, communicate, and administer competitive total rewards strategies, including compensation, benefits, retirement, recognition and engagement, and other work experience programs, that are cost effective and consistent with labor market trends and Whole Foods Market’s strategic objectives
- Partner with the VP of TMS Operations to identify functionality and business rules for the architecture of our compensation and benefits within Workday
- Partner with Amazon Compensation and Benefits teams on various topics, such as LTI and Executive Compensation
- Partner with the VP of Talent and key stakeholders to ensure plan design aligns with strategic workforce planning goals
- Review compensation and benefits processes to ensure a proactive approach to continuous improvement, operational efficiency, and risk mitigation
- Partner with the VP of Talent on the development of SOPs, documentation of careers paths and alignment with internal job/pay relationships
- Oversee and direct annual benefits budgeting process
- Create the Team Member messaging that will help our workforce understand and utilize their total rewards
- Broadcast educational information and programs around total rewards
- Accurately interpret, counsel, communicate, and educate TMS (HR) Business Partners, Team Leaders, and executives on pay decisions, policy and guideline interpretations, and job evaluations
- Ensure incorporation of industry trends and best practices into the compensation and benefits strategy
- Manage current compensation and benefits programs to ensure they are market competitive, cost effective, and aligned with our business strategy and enhance our ability to attract top talent
- Ensure timely and accurate analysis, benchmarking, preparation of presentations, and communication of compensation KPI’s and metrics to the SVP of TMS
- Maintain current knowledge of related government rules and regulations, including applicable Labor and/or Tax laws and regulations; ensure compliance and reporting requirements
- Stay current on market trends and rewards practices to ensure consistency and competitiveness
- Oversee the management of compensation and benefits vendor relationships, contracts, and bid negotiations
Core Values and Ways of Working:
- Customer Obsession: Start with the customer and work backwards. Work vigorously to earn and keep customer trust.
- Dive Deep: Stay close to the details and audit frequently. Use metrics and anecdotes to audit at all levels of the organization. Seek to understand nuances and edge cases. Ask why until you reach root cause.
- Earn Trust: Invest in relationships with your team, peers, and cross-functional stakeholders. Engage in respectful debate and challenge your opinions with new data. Be humble, be willing to be wrong, and be a decent human being.
- Invent & Simplify: Focus the team on work that matters. Seek to do more with less through prioritization, automation, and frugality. Experiment with new approaches, test & learn, and be willing to fail.
- Communication: Excel at written and verbal communication and set a high bar for others to do the same.
- Seek Win-Win Strategies and Solutions: Builds partnerships during the influence process by demonstrating sensitivity to others’ needs, maintaining self-esteem, showing empathy, involving others, and offering support.
- Deliver Results: Maintain a relentless focus on achieving measurable results on metrics that will further our business goals.
- Purpose Driven: Committed to fulfilling the higher Purpose, Core Values, and Leadership Principles of Whole Foods Market.
- Think Big: Create and communicate a bold direction that inspires results. Inspire others to personally contribute to the team and the company’s success for the long term.
- 10+ years of experience in compensation and benefits; including equity design, planning, administration & executive compensation required
- 5-7 years leading compensation and benefits teams
- Proven ability to influence and persuade senior leaders
- Previous HR leadership experience at a company comprised of different Team Member populations (retail/client-facing, distribution centers, and corporate employees)
- Experience partnering with Talent Acquisition to create an executive/leadership compensation program
- Previous experience driving operational change by sharing insights and influencing others
- Proven track record of being analytical, organized, and thrive working in a fast-paced retail environment with multiple regional and corporate stakeholders
- Known for being a solutions-oriented leader and able to establish trust across HR COEs and key senior leaders
- Experience with both self-insured and fully insured healthcare models
- Experience designing and implementing compensation and benefits programs
- Working knowledge of HRIS (Workday preferred) and benefits systems
- Proven track record in designing and implementing total rewards strategy in best-practices organizations
- Must possess a strong financial acumen; ability to understand the short- and long-term financial impact of total rewards practices, and ability to prepare or supervise the preparation of relevant financial data
- Experience creating road maps and proficiency with flow charting software
- Comprehensive knowledge of benefits programs (Health, 401K, etc.) and experience working with external vendors
- Proven ability to write effective narrative or business case documents
- A passion for Whole Foods Market and a sense of ownership for the success of the business
- Willingness to travel 20% of the time
Whole Foods Market provides a fair and equal employment opportunity for all team members and candidates regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, or disability. Whole Foods Market hires and promotes individuals solely on the basis of their qualifications for the position to be filled.
At Whole Foods Market, we provide a fair and equal employment opportunity for all Team Members and candidates regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, gender, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, marital status, disability, or any other legally protected characteristic. Whole Foods Market hires and promotes individuals solely based on qualifications for the position to be filled and business needs.