Director of Product Marketing, Developer Products at Cloudflare
At Cloudflare, we have our eyes set on an ambitious goal: to help build a better Internet. Today the company runs one of the world’s largest networks that powers approximately 25 million Internet properties, for customers ranging from individual bloggers to SMBs to Fortune 500 companies. Cloudflare protects and accelerates any Internet application online without adding hardware, installing software, or changing a line of code. Internet properties powered by Cloudflare all have web traffic routed through its intelligent global network, which gets smarter with every request. As a result, they see significant improvement in performance and a decrease in spam and other attacks. Cloudflare was named to Entrepreneur Magazine’s Top Company Cultures list and ranked among the World’s Most Innovative Companies by Fast Company.
We realize people do not fit into neat boxes. We are looking for curious and empathetic individuals who are committed to developing themselves and learning new skills, and we are ready to help you do that. We cannot complete our mission without building a diverse and inclusive team. We hire the best people based on an evaluation of their potential and support them throughout their time at Cloudflare. Come join us!
About The Role
We announced Cloudflare Workers in 2017 — since then it’s played a key role in Cloudflare’s strategy for entering the developer market. As Cloudflare was ramping up its capabilities in the performance and security spaces, it became clear that developers needed more ways to control the edge than rules engines could support. The Cloudflare Workers platform has empowered developers to add programmability to the edge— through code.
Over the past few years, the Workers platform has grown from a simple functions-as-a-service option into a full blown full-stack platform, with storage options like Workers KV, Durable Objects and R2. The Workers platform also includes a rich suite of tools to support it: the wrangler CLI, the edge development environment (wrangler dev), and observability tools. On top of the foundational compute and storage building blocks, Cloudflare has built out best-in-class developer experience products with specific use cases in mind. Cloudflare Pages is wholly built on top of the foundational building blocks for seamless, opinionated web development with the Cloudflare portfolio.
We are truly just getting started. Our opportunity is both huge and unique. With the combination of owning the hardware and investing heavily in developer experience, we’re positioned as the next big evolution of cloud computing.
In this role, you’ll be helping define what that future looks like.
What You’ll Do
- Lead and hire a small team of product and technical marketers focused on Cloudflare’s developer products
- Develop a Product Marketing strategy specific to developers (both individuals and teams at enterprises) and evangelize that strategy across stakeholders in marketing, sales, and product teams.
- Design an experimental approach to content, events, and ads. We want to refine our investments of effort overtime.
- Support product and feature launches and company-wide innovation weeks. Cloudflare ships a lot of stuff!
- Develop and nurture relationships with engineering, product management, marketing, and sales to ensure success of the GTM execution. We are growing at over 50% YoY. Everyone needs to be aligned as we grow!
- Partner with the Product Marketing team to best incorporate the developer portfolio within the greater Cloudflare set of products and services.
- Own sales enablement strategy and execution for the developer portfolio
- Collaborate on technology analyst engagements, taking an active role to develop strategy or content. Own the multi-year narrative and nurture that with prominent analysts.
- Continuously gather feedback from customers and empathize with their needs. Own the Win/Loss analysis.
- Represent the company externally, including meetings with prospects, customers, partners and analysts.
- Delve into market and competitive research to drive new investment opportunities.
Examples Of Desirable Skills, Knowledge And Experience
The ideal candidate is entrepreneurial-minded and thrives in a fast-paced and goal-driven environment. You have outstanding communication and collaboration skills and are able to work with a diverse group, get alignment, and drive the product forward. You are execution focused and emphasize getting things done while paying attention to important details.
- BS/MS in a technology field
- Experience working on developer-facing products
- Professional experience leading a marketing team or function
- Experience hiring an exceptional team and nurturing that team to continued success overtime
- Proven track record of developing a product marketing strategy, designed with experiments to prove what’s working and what’s not
- Proven ability to articulate a vision and strategy in a way that inspires and motivates a team and focuses their energy on our mission
- Customer focus — you’ll be working directly, and often be a part of the customers team in helping them get their initial implementation off the ground
- Strong technical curiosity – you are familiar with modern software development practices used to build and deploy applications. You are capable of wading into the details & understanding engineering decisions’ impact on the product, but can also drive 30k foot view
- Strong user and stakeholder empathy – you must be not only the voice of the user, but at various times the voice of product management, finance, engineering, support and ops. You must be able to channel many points of view.
What Makes Cloudflare Special?
We’re not just a highly ambitious, large-scale technology company. We’re a highly ambitious, large-scale technology company with a soul. Fundamental to our mission to help build a better Internet is protecting the free and open Internet.
Project Galileo: We equip politically and artistically important organizations and journalists with powerful tools to defend themselves against attacks that would otherwise censor their work, technology already used by Cloudflare’s enterprise customers--at no cost.
Athenian Project: We created Athenian Project to ensure that state and local governments have the highest level of protection and reliability for free, so that their constituents have access to election information and voter registration.
Path Forward Partnership: Since 2016, we have partnered with Path Forward, a nonprofit organization, to create 16-week positions for mid-career professionals who want to get back to the workplace after taking time off to care for a child, parent, or loved one.
18.104.22.168: We released 22.214.171.124 to help fix the foundation of the Internet by building a faster, more secure and privacy-centric public DNS resolver. This is available publicly for everyone to use - it is the first consumer-focused service Cloudflare has ever released. Here’s the deal - we don’t store client IP addresses never, ever. We will continue to abide by our privacy commitment and ensure that no user data is sold to advertisers or used to target consumers.
Sound like something you’d like to be a part of? We’d love to hear from you!
This position may require access to information protected under U.S. export control laws, including the U.S. Export Administration Regulations. Please note that any offer of employment may be conditioned on your authorization to receive software or technology controlled under these U.S. export laws without sponsorship for an export license.
Cloudflare is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all people and place great value in both diversity and inclusiveness. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to their, or any other person's, perceived or actual race, color, religion, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, physical or mental disability, medical condition, family care status, or any other basis protected by law. We are an AA/Veterans/Disabled Employer.
Cloudflare provides reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job. Examples of reasonable accommodations include, but are not limited to, changing the application process, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment. If you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job, please contact us via e-mail at [email protected] or via mail at 101 Townsend St. San Francisco, CA 94107.