Director of Product at Cloudflare
At Cloudflare, we have our eyes set on an ambitious goal: to help build a better Internet. Today the company runs one of the world’s largest networks that powers approximately 25 million Internet properties, for customers ranging from individual bloggers to SMBs to Fortune 500 companies. Cloudflare protects and accelerates any Internet application online without adding hardware, installing software, or changing a line of code. Internet properties powered by Cloudflare all have web traffic routed through its intelligent global network, which gets smarter with every request. As a result, they see significant improvement in performance and a decrease in spam and other attacks. Cloudflare was named to Entrepreneur Magazine’s Top Company Cultures list and ranked among the World’s Most Innovative Companies by Fast Company.
We realize people do not fit into neat boxes. We are looking for curious and empathetic individuals who are committed to developing themselves and learning new skills, and we are ready to help you do that. We cannot complete our mission without building a diverse and inclusive team. We hire the best people based on an evaluation of their potential and support them throughout their time at Cloudflare. Come join us!
About the Department
The Product team at Cloudflare sits at the intersection of software development, design, and business strategy. We shape high-level product goals but are also hands on. We have ultimate responsibility for understanding our client needs, influencing business strategy, feature specification, and working with engineering to develop our software.
About the Role
As a Director of Product Management, you will lead a passionate team of PMs and be responsible for a portfolio of products that help improve how the Internet works. You will guide new product development through all stages of the product life cycle, from identification of customer needs and product definition through development, launch, and sustainment. This is a highly cross-functional role in which you will be responsible for shaping our overall product strategy, roadmap, and methods and practices for your team to support achievement of company business goals.
This position requires you to be a self-starter with the ability to take ownership, work with tight timelines, handle various tasks simultaneously while maintaining a positive attitude. In addition, great oral communication and written documentation skills are valuable for this role for promoting ideas throughout the company.
What you’ll do
- Lead and encourage a team of accomplished product managers, enabling high performance and removing obstacles to attainment of their objectives
- Hire, develop, and retain extraordinary talent to scale the function and meet business goals
- Guide the development of product strategy and roadmap for a portfolio of products.
- Lead PM efforts across teams from ideation through launch, and continuing through ongoing maintenance and support
- Implement best-in-class product management processes to increase team velocity, quality, and accountability
- Develop and nurture relationships with engineering leadership and coordinate closely to ensure successful delivery of product
- Partner with leaders in other departments such as Product Marketing, Marketing, Sales, and Customer Support to drive adoption with and gather feedback from customers and prospects
- Build consensus and effectively influence senior-level partners
- Identify new markets and opportunities for product expansion and build the external and internal relationships required to realize them
- Represent the company externally as needed, including speaking engagements and other meetings with customers and prospects
Examples of desirable skills, knowledge and experience
The ideal candidate is entrepreneurial-minded and thrives in a fast-paced and goal-driven environment. You have outstanding communication and collaboration skills and are able to work with a diverse group, get consensus, and drive the product forward. You are execution focused and emphasize getting things done while paying attention to important details. You have several years of experience working with enterprise, SaaS, or security technologies. You have a passion for building SaaS products and want to solve the problems of performance, security, and reliability of the Internet.
- BS/MS in a technology field
- 10+ years of product management experience
- 5+ years of experience building and managing product teams
- Demonstrated ability to build, lead and develop a team of high-performing product managers (direct reports)
- Consistent track record of building and leading product teams: people want to work on your team again
- Proven track record shipping data-driven, secure, enterprise products at scale in a highly dynamic environment
- Proven ability to articulate a vision and strategy in a way that inspires and motivates a team and focuses their energy on achieving business goals
- Skilled in providing analysis and estimation of the strategic and financial value of new products and features
- Significant experience working in a fast paced, high growth company
- Strong technical abilities. You are intimately familiar with modern software development practices used to build and deploy applications. You are capable of wading into the details, but can also drive 30k foot view
- Experience building great user experiences and driving elegant, simple interactions
- Experience managing products for business customers, and managing teams of product managers doing so
- Tolerance for ambiguity, creativity in strategy and execution tactics, and always improving on the status quo
- Strong customer and stakeholder empathy. You must be not only the voice of the customer, but at various times the voice of marketing, finance, engineering, support and ops. You must be able to channel many points of view.
- Pricing strategy and revenue forecasting experience
- Familiarity with validating early ideas through quantitative and qualitative methods (A/B and multivariate testing, user testing, etc).
What Makes Cloudflare Special?
We’re not just a highly ambitious, large-scale technology company. We’re a highly ambitious, large-scale technology company with a soul. Fundamental to our mission to help build a better Internet is protecting the free and open Internet.
Project Galileo: We equip politically and artistically important organizations and journalists with powerful tools to defend themselves against attacks that would otherwise censor their work, technology already used by Cloudflare’s enterprise customers--at no cost.
Athenian Project: We created Athenian Project to ensure that state and local governments have the highest level of protection and reliability for free, so that their constituents have access to election information and voter registration.
Path Forward Partnership: Since 2016, we have partnered with Path Forward, a nonprofit organization, to create 16-week positions for mid-career professionals who want to get back to the workplace after taking time off to care for a child, parent, or loved one.
126.96.36.199: We released 188.8.131.52 to help fix the foundation of the Internet by building a faster, more secure and privacy-centric public DNS resolver. This is available publicly for everyone to use - it is the first consumer-focused service Cloudflare has ever released. Here’s the deal - we don’t store client IP addresses never, ever. We will continue to abide by our privacy commitment and ensure that no user data is sold to advertisers or used to target consumers.
Sound like something you’d like to be a part of? We’d love to hear from you!
This position may require access to information protected under U.S. export control laws, including the U.S. Export Administration Regulations. Please note that any offer of employment may be conditioned on your authorization to receive software or technology controlled under these U.S. export laws without sponsorship for an export license.
Cloudflare is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all people and place great value in both diversity and inclusiveness. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to their, or any other person's, perceived or actual race, color, religion, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, physical or mental disability, medical condition, family care status, or any other basis protected by law. We are an AA/Veterans/Disabled Employer.
Cloudflare provides reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job. Examples of reasonable accommodations include, but are not limited to, changing the application process, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment. If you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job, please contact us via e-mail at [email protected] or via mail at 101 Townsend St. San Francisco, CA 94107.