Product Owner, Internal Tools at Smarter Sorting
About the Role
Smarter Sorting is growing! We seek a Product Owner of Internal Tools to own the development and evolution of internal tools and processes that allow us to scale our business. Smarter Sorting’s core product is data. This candidate’s previous experience should be focused around data - from collection to cleansing to publishing - rather than development of a UI. As such, someone with an eye toward operations or process engineering will achieve success in this role.
We are still a small start-up so the ideal candidate needs to be able to be a do-er and a leader/manager that can help develop our other Smarter Sorters. Additionally, this person must become a subject matter expert, not only of their tools/processes, but also about how those tools/processes integrate into other pipelines in our platform.
What You'll Be Doing:
- Own the development and ongoing enhancements/maintenance of internal tools for Smarter Sorting
- Identify opportunities and document requirements to build tools/processes that allow operational activities to be executed by non-development resources
- Understand the company’s strategies and overall objectives in order to inform prioritization of tools/features
- Document release notes and user instructions for each tool/process and socialize/train across the company’s stakeholders
- In collaboration with the Technical team, develop/maintain/communicate a roadmap for internal tools
- 2+ years of product management / product ownership experience
- 1+ years as a Product Owner or Process Owner in a scrum team (Agile development)
- 1+ years experience working in a data operations or data engineering capacity
- Meticulous attention to detail
- Ability to think strategically
- Ability to communicate and collaborate effectively with people at all levels of the organization
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills
- Proven “roll up your sleeves and get it done” reputation in previous endeavors
- SQL knowledge is a PLUS
- Learn everything there is to know about our company, our data, our product suite and the needs of the organizations we work with.
- Ask smart questions and demonstrate a developing comprehension of our products
- Be able to compose a complete task in our project management software - this includes documenting use cases and working with the Tech lead to flesh out tech requirements.
- Document scope of enhancement to one of our existing internal tools.
- Be able to co-lead a standup with the Project Manager.
- Be able to prepare all sprint tasks (user stories only) in preparation for grooming/planning according to schedule - this will include understanding/gathering cross-functional requirements.
- Be able prioritize tasks within grooming/planning (i.e. drive the scope for a given sprint).
- Collaborate on/draft/socialize a roadmap.
- Be able to identify dependencies between products/features/tasks.
- Be able to collaborate on the release of tools/features to ensure they are fully operationalized company-wide.
Your Benefits & Perks
Competitive Compensation Packages
Medical, dental & vision insurance
Short-term disability insurance
Generous Parental Leave
Unlimited Paid Time Off
Continuing Education Sponsorship
Bi-Annual All-Hands, Volunteering & Special Events (with baby goats in attendance)
Unlimited snacks & drinks
You choose us not only because this is the role you’ve been waiting for, but also because we are a purpose-driven company committed to our mission. You’ll be joining a group of machine learning experts, successful serial entrepreneurs, data scientists, sustainability experts, recovering consultants and national account program managers whose passion for data-driven sustainability drives us. You choose us because our values resonate with you. At Smarter Sorting this means: We do what it takes. We begin from a position of curiosity. We are driven to become experts. We are real. We have grit. You share our belief that a healthy culture is key to the company’s success and more importantly our employees’ happiness.
Better decisions. Better data. Greener planet. All made possible by the best people. Come join our team!
At Smarter Sorting, we understand that a workforce that includes a robust mix of genders, ages, ethnicities, religions and socioeconomic backgrounds is more likely to reflect a variety of perspectives and thought patterns - leading to more innovation, brainstorming, problem-solving and strategizing. That is why we are committed to building a diverse and inclusive environment and strongly encourage candidates from historically underrepresented groups to apply.