About H-E-B H-E-B is one of the largest, independently owned food retailers in the nation operating over 400 stores throughout Texas and Mexico, with annual sales generating over $25 billion.Described by industry experts as a daring innovator and smart competitor, H-E-B has led the way with creative new concepts, outstanding service and a commitment to diversity in our workforce, workplace and marketplace. H-E-B offers a wealth of career opportunities to our 109,000+ Partners (employees), competitive compensation and benefits program and comprehensive training that lead to successful careers.
H-E-B Digital is looking for new Partners! We are reinventing how customers interact with the legendary Texas brand. We plan on investing heavily in our customers’ digital experience, reinventing how they make food and wellness decisions, and how they ultimately get food and other products into their homes.
H-E-B Digital is co-located in San Antonio and Austin, which will share space with Favor, recently acquired by H-E-B, and now ranked no. 138 on the Inc. 5000 list (in addition, ranked 5th in Texas and 1st in Austin!). Our top leaders have deep consumer tech experience; Jag Bath (CEO and President of Favor) leads H-E-B Digital, and Mike Georgoff (recent Chief Product Officer at Main Street Hub), leads digital product strategy and development. We're hiring for every other role on this new team: product management, product marketing, design (product / UX / visual), user research, proto-typing, and engineering.
The Product & Design Team is on a mission to design and build the absolute best software and experience in the food / retail space while driving exceptional business results. We mix user centric design with business savvy, focusing on two key user segments:
- Consumers: a compelling digital experience that captures everything inspiring about food, while delivering incredible convenience and simplifying the grocery experience to be nothing short of delightful.
- H-E-B Partners: we arm H-E-B partners across the company with world class business applications and tools to thrive in their jobs so together we can ensure that the customer experience is top notch online, in-store, or anywhere else.
What is the opportunity?
You’re someone who works seamlessly with engineers and designers alike; you can ask savvy questions in either space to reach powerful product conclusions. As a Product Manager, you will embrace the role of “editor in chief” – finding and evaluating ideas from all sources and using customer empathy to mold those ideas into a seamless, compelling whole that is so much more than the sum of its parts.
- Own all aspects of product management in your realm – vision, strategy, roadmap, prototypes, user testing, development, optimization, business outcomes, etc.
- Maintain a deep understanding of the market and technology landscape, how it’s evolving, the implications for our customers, and how all that should shape where go
- Work with cross-functional teams to identify new customer / business problems that could be solved by the platform and infrastructure teams; build the business case for new features and gain approval from stakeholders
- Lead the product development lifecycle; work with engineers and architects to produce a groomed, prioritized backlog that aligns the work to business goals
- Be an exceptional communicator, accountable for telling a memorable, sticky story about the product to key stakeholders
- Be an exceptional collaborator – we win as a team.
- Be a relentless advocate for the customer in all circumstances.
- Be granted exceptional freedom and autonomy, always remembering that with great power comes great responsibility to educate, collaborate with, and inform stakeholders
- Be a student of design thinking and have an appetite for learning the art of intervention design.
Why is it awesome? You will…
- Help build and apply product management standards / processes across the Product & Design team
- Have the freedom to define how product management operates at H-E-B Digital
- Be part of a small, lean team (to start), which translates to you having a big personal impact
- Have huge opportunity for growth. H-E-B Digital is on the way up, creating exceptional career paths for exceptional product & design talent
- Be surrounded by top talent; we constantly raise the bar, and all get better along the way
What is your background?
- Proven track record (3 – 10 years’ experience) in digital product management
- Strategically adept – you see connections and opportunities where others may not and create effective plans to exploit those opportunities
- Extra points for experience in consumer software products
- Even more points for deep mobile experience, both web and native
Do you have what it takes to succeed?
- Enthusiasm for H-E-B values and the H-E-B Digital mission
- Familiarity with design, UX, HCI, CS, or related fields
- Ability to make decisions based on hard inputs, seasoned with just a bit of gut feel
- Personal ambition and the ability to embrace challenge; you’re energized by more and inspired by learning
- Great attention to detail—because the details matter
- If you apply, include the word “armadillo” somewhere in your resume or cover letter
- Embrace and thrive in high paced, lean startup cultures
- High comfort level with “lean startup” or Agile development methodologies
- Radical customer obsessions
- Love that data, just love it
- Deep appreciation for great user centered design, paired with healthy respect for the business and hunger to build products with real financial impact on the company
- Intellectual agility – we cover a lot of different terrain every week
What are the perks?
- A robust Benefits plan with coverage starting Day One
- An 80/20 PPO medical plan with a $30 copay for in-network primary care
- Dental plans, Vision plan, voluntary insurance plans, and flexible spending accounts (FSA) available
- The Partner Care Team, for any time you have healthcare or coverage questions
- Partner Guidance allows free counselor visits, up to 5 times per year for each issue
- Telehealth offers 24/7 access to board-certified doctors over the phone
- Funeral leave, Jury Duty, and Military pay (subject to applicable law)
- Short-Term and Long-Term Disability coverage after 90 days
- Maternal / Paternal Leave for new parents, adoptions included
- Eligibility for 401(k) participation after 6 months
- Eligibility for quarterly bonuses based on company performance
- 10% off H-E-B brand products in-store and online after 90 days
- Access to other savings (gyms, phone, hotels, and more) through online discount program after 90 days
- Opportunity to become a “Partner-Owner” after 12 months of employment