About H-E-B H-E-B is one of the largest, independently owned food retailers in the nation operating over 400 stores throughout Texas and Mexico, with annual sales generating over $25 billion. Described by industry experts as a daring innovator and smart competitor, H-E-B has led the way with creative new concepts, outstanding service and a commitment to diversity in our workforce, workplace and marketplace. H-E-B offers a wealth of career opportunities to our 109,000+ Partners (employees), competitive compensation and benefits program and comprehensive training that lead to successful careers.
H-E-B Digital, a brand new food tech startup from iconic Texas retailer H-E-B, is seeking new members (Partners)! We plan on investing heavily in our customers' digital experience, reinventing how they find inspiration from food, how they make food decisions, and how they ultimately get food into their homes
H-E-B Digital will be co-located in San Antonio and Austin, which will share space with Favor--recently acquired by H-E-B, and now ranked no. 138 on the Inc. 5000 list (in addition, ranked 5th in Texas and 1st in Austin!). Our top leaders have deep consumer tech experience; Jag Bath (CEO and President of Favor) leads H-E-B Digital, and Mike Georgoff (recent Chief Product Officer at Main Street Hub), leads digital product strategy and development. We're hiring for every other role on this new team: product management, product marketing, design (product / UX / visual), user research, proto-typing, and engineering.
The Product & Design Team is on a mission to design and build the absolute best software and experience in the food / retail space while driving exceptional business results. We mix user centric design with business savvy, focusing on two key user segments:
· Consumers: a compelling digital experience that captures everything inspiring about food, while delivering incredible convenience and simplifying the grocery experience to be nothing short of delightful.
· H-E-B Partners: we arm H-E-B partners across the company with world class business applications and tools to thrive in their jobs so together we can ensure that the customer experience is top notch online, in-store, or anywhere else
What is the opportunity?
You’re someone who can collaborate with all levels-business stakeholders, product managers, and development teams-to meet the needs of the business. You have excellent communication skills and thrive in a team-oriented environment. As a Technical Product Manager, you will be responsible for owning the H-E-B Digital platform and infrastructure strategy, along with its roadmap and evolution, to support multiple product teams and lines of business.
- Identify and manage the platform, infrastructure shared services, and APIs required to empower product teams to deliver delightful experiences to both internal and external users
- Identify changes to legacy systems (movement to new tech, modification of implementation patterns, etc.) that would enable future product opportunities and a more resilient developer platform
- Partner with vertical product teams to define best practices and approaches to leverage the platform and infrastructure capabilities to meet business needs.
- Serve as the subject matter expert and evangelist for the H-E-B Digital platform and infrastructure stack, ensuring that all stakeholders understand their purpose, capabilities, and roadmap
- Maintain a deep understanding of the market and technology landscape, how it-s evolving, the implications for our customers, and how all that should shape where we should take the platform and infrastructure stack next.
- Own the ideation and planning of discovery activities to identify new customer / business problems that could be solved by the platform and infrastructure teams; build the business case for new features and gain approval from stakeholders.
- Lead the product development lifecycle; work with engineers and architects to produce a groomed, prioritized backlog that aligns the work to business goals
Why is it awesome? You will…
- Help build and apply product management standards / processes across the Product & Design team
- Have the freedom to define how product management operates at H-E-B Digital
- Be part of a small, lean team (to start)-which translates to you having a big personal impact
- Have huge opportunity for growth. H-E-B Digital is on the way up, creating exceptional career paths for exceptional product & design talent
- Be surrounded by top talent; we constantly raise the bar, and all get better along the way
What is your background?
- Bachelor-s degree in computer science or engineering is highly preferred
- 3 - 10 years - experience in technical platform product management / experience serving as a platform product manager and migrating technology platforms from legacy to new tech; experience managing APIs or SDKs at a minimum
- Experience integrating with consumer-facing web platforms, geolocation data, and data warehousing is highly desirable
- Track record of success-experience building successful new products / platforms
Do you have what it takes to succeed?
- Enthusiasm for H-E-B values and the H-E-B Digital mission
- Analytical thinking-knowing when / how data is important
- Understanding of, and appreciation for, how backend decisions impact the customer experience
- Excellent presentation and people skills-must work well with users at all levels, including C-Level executives; articulate in communication
- Strong project management skills-you-re comfortable organizing and orchestrating complex initiatives that require significant interactions across multiple engineering teams
- Ability to break complex directions into smaller steps, decisions, and tests
- Comfortable with ambiguity-ability to define a clear path through a many possible options
- Personal ambition and the ability to embrace challenge; you-re energized by more and inspired by learning
- Great attention to detail-because the details matter
- If you apply, include the word -armadillo- somewhere in your resume or cover letter
- Embrace and thrive in high paced, lean startup cultures
- High comfort level with -lean startup- or Agile development methodologies
- Strong entrepreneurial spirit-must be self-driven, individually accountable, passionate about business results, and can completely own the delivery of high value initiative
- Intellectual agility-we cover a lot of different terrain every week
What are the perks?
- A robust Benefits plan with coverage starting Day One
- An 80/20 PPO medical plan with a $30 copay for in-network primary care
- Dental plans, Vision plan, voluntary insurance plans, and flexible spending accounts (FSA) available
- The Partner Care Team, for any time you have healthcare or coverage questions
- Partner Guidance allows free counselor visits, up to 5 times per year for each issue
- Telehealth offers 24/7 access to board-certified doctors over the phone
- Funeral leave, Jury Duty, and Military pay (subject to applicable law)
- Short-Term and Long-Term Disability coverage after 90 days
- Maternal / Paternal Leave for new parents, adoptions included
- Eligibility for 401(k) participation after 6 months
- Eligibility for quarterly bonuses based on company performance
- 10% off H-E-B brand products in-store and online after 90 days