Senior Technical Product Manager at H-E-B
About H-E-B H-E-B is one of the largest, independently owned food retailers in the nation operating over 400 stores throughout Texas and Mexico, with annual sales generating over $25 billion. Described by industry experts as a daring innovator and smart competitor, H-E-B has led the way with creative new concepts, outstanding service and a commitment to diversity in our workforce, workplace and marketplace. H-E-B offers a wealth of career opportunities to our 109,000+ Partners (employees), competitive compensation and benefits program and comprehensive training that lead to successful careers.
H-E-B Digital, a brand-new food tech startup from iconic Texas retailer H-E-B, is seeking new members (Partners)! We plan on investing heavily in our customers' digital experience, reinventing how they find inspiration from food decision, and how they ultimately get food into their homes. We're co-located in San Antonio and Austin and we're hiring for every role on this new team: product management, design (Product / UX / Visual), user research, prototyping, and engineering.
The Product and Design Team is on a mission to design and build the absolute best software and experience in the food / retail space while driving exceptional business results. We mix user centric design with business savvy, focusing on two key user segments:
- Consumers: a compelling digital experience that captures everything inspiring about food, while delivering incredible convenience and simplifying the grocery experience to be nothing short of delight.
- H-E-B Partners: we are H-E-B partners across the company with world class business applications and tools to thrive in their jobs so together we can ensure that the customer experience is top notch online, in-store, or anywhere else.
What is the opportunity?
You're someone who can collaborate with all levels - business stakeholders, product managers, and development teams - to meet the needs of the business. You have excellent communication skills and thrive in a team-oriented environment. As a Technical Product Manager, you will be responsible for owning the H-E-B Digital platform and infrastructure strategy, along with its road map and evolution, to support multiple product teams and lines of business.
- Lead the product development lifecycle; work with engineers and architects to produce a groomed, prioritized backlog that aligns to work to business goals
- Identify and manage the platform, infrastructure shares services, and APIs required to empower product teams to deliver delightful experiences to both internal and external users
- Coordinate with engineers on necessary enhancements to the cloud infrastructure and services
- Identify changes to legacy systems (movement to new tech, modification of implementation patterns, etc.) that would enable future product opportunities and a more resilient developer platform
- Partner with vertical product teams to define best practices and approaches to leverage the platform and infrastructure capabilities to meet business needs.
- Serve as the subject matter expert and evangelist for the H-E-B Digital platform and infrastracture stack, ensuring that all stakeholders understand their purpose, capabilities, and road map
- Maintain a deep understanding of the market and technology landscape, how it's evolving, the implications for our customers, and how all that should shape where we should take the platform and infrastructure stack next.
- Own the ideation and planning of discovery activities to identify new customers / business problems that could be solved by the platform and infrastructure teams; build the business case for new features and gain approval from stakeholders.
Why is it awesome? You will..
- Help build and apply product management standards / processes across the Product & Design team
- Have the freedom to define how product management operates at H-E-B Digital
- Be part of a small team (to start) - which translates to you having a big personal impact
- Have huge opportunity for growth. H-E-B Digital is on the way up, creating exceptional career paths for exceptional product & design talent
- Be surrounded by top talent; we constantly raise the bar, and all get better along the way
What is your background?
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science of Engineering is preferred but not required
- 3 - 10 years’ experience in technical platform product management / experience serving as a platform product manager and migrating technology platforms from legacy to new tech; experience managing APIs or SDKS at a minimum
- Solid understanding of cloud infrastructure and security, specifically authentication and authorization
- Experience integrating with consumer facing web platforms, geolocation data, and data warehousing is highly desirable
- Track record of success, experience building successful new products or platforms
Do you have what it takes to succeed?
- Enthusiasm for H-E-B values and the H-E-B Digital mission
- Analytical thinking, knowing when and how data is important
- Understand of, and appreciation for, how backend decisions impact the customer experience
- Excellent presentation and people skills, must work well with users at all levels, including C-Level executives; articulate in communications
- Strong project management skills you're comfortable organizing and orchestrating complex initiatives that require significant interactions across multiple engineering teams
- Ability to break complex directions into smaller steps, decisions and tests
- Comfortable with ambiguity, ability to define a clear path through many possible options
- Personal ambition and the ability to embrace challenge; your'e energized by more and inspired by learning
- Great attention to detail, because the details matter
- Embrace and thrive in high paced, learn startup cultures
- High comfort level with lean start up or Agile development methodologies
- Strong entrepreneurial spirit, must be self driven, individually accountable, passionate about business results, and can completely own the delivery of high value initiatives
- Intellectual agility, we cover a lot of different terrain every week