Sr. Technical Program Manager, Security at Cloudflare (Austin, TX)
At Cloudflare, we have our eyes set on an ambitious goal: to help build a better Internet. Today the company runs one of the world’s largest networks that powers approximately 25 million Internet properties, for customers ranging from individual bloggers to SMBs to Fortune 500 companies. Cloudflare protects and accelerates any Internet application online without adding hardware, installing software, or changing a line of code. Internet properties powered by Cloudflare all have web traffic routed through its intelligent global network, which gets smarter with every request. As a result, they see significant improvement in performance and a decrease in spam and other attacks. Cloudflare was named to Entrepreneur Magazine’s Top Company Cultures list and ranked among the World’s Most Innovative Companies by Fast Company.
We realize people do not fit into neat boxes. We are looking for curious and empathetic individuals who are committed to developing themselves and learning new skills, and we are ready to help you do that. We cannot complete our mission without building a diverse and inclusive team. We hire the best people based on an evaluation of their potential and support them throughout their time at Cloudflare. Come join us!
About the Department
Security at Cloudflare is a focused team committed to helping secure both Cloudflare and our customers.
About the Role
We need to solve big security challenges at scale. As a Sr. Technical Program Manager on the security team, you will:
- Work with Security, IT, engineering, infrastructure, and People teams to discover, define, and implement our strategic vision and roadmap across our most important programs.
- Develop an objective, risk-based, innovative approach to identifying and solving our highest priority security initiatives.
- Analyze, define, and revamp many of Cloudflare’s processes and internal workflows as we mature our security programs across the company.
- Lead conversations with key internal and external stakeholders to make tough decisions, prioritize requirements, estimate work efforts, define milestones, identify dependencies, evaluate and mitigate risks, triage and debug issues large and small.
- Build relationships across Cloudflare’s many teams and stakeholders, breakthrough communication issues, maintain alignment and morale all while ensuring decisions get made that align with our program principles.
- Synthesize ideas and concepts into executable program / project plans (PRDs, technical design specs, roadmaps, budgets, resource planning, etc)
- Project and product manage development efforts, run and test pilots and proof of concepts, and roll out changes and updates.
- Guide and develop understanding of architectural solutions, the impact to our teams and products, and the level of effort across engineering teams.
- Understand our products deeply from a technical and business perspective; develop broad domain and technical knowledge
- Balance the focus on long term vision and roadmap vs the need to ensure high risk tactical security issues are addressed.
- Partner with our Governance, Risk and Compliance team to understand policies and control standards and how that can influence or change roadmaps.
- Generate cadenced program updates, reports, and metrics for internal stakeholders as well as executive level summaries that ensures stakeholder are well informed
Examples of desirable skills, knowledge and experience
- 3+ years of experience in software development / product management / technical program management in a technical environment with a focus on security
- Experience building out programs globally and from the ground up in a technical environment
- Hands on technical experience when it comes to driving our solutions across various stakeholders
- Ability to understand the technical details and make recommendations that elevate the solution
- Foresight to understand and plan around the technical dependencies and impacts associated with other teams and projects
- Have an engineering background and/or mindset when solving problems
- Equally adept at strategy formulation and tactical execution
- Strong change management and communication skills
- Exceptional empathy and integrity. Demonstrated success in earning trust across a broad variety of stakeholders and making principled decisions
- Ability to influence and motivate people across a broad variety of job functions
- Ability to effectively prioritize and advance a large number of projects simultaneously
- Experience in or desire to work with multiple time zones and multiple cross functional teams, including travel as needed
What Makes Cloudflare Special?
We’re not just a highly ambitious, large-scale technology company. We’re a highly ambitious, large-scale technology company with a soul. Fundamental to our mission to help build a better Internet is protecting the free and open Internet.
Project Galileo: We equip politically and artistically important organizations and journalists with powerful tools to defend themselves against attacks that would otherwise censor their work, technology already used by Cloudflare’s enterprise customers--at no cost.
Athenian Project: We created Athenian Project to ensure that state and local governments have the highest level of protection and reliability for free, so that their constituents have access to election information and voter registration.
Path Forward Partnership: Since 2016, we have partnered with Path Forward, a nonprofit organization, to create 16-week positions for mid-career professionals who want to get back to the workplace after taking time off to care for a child, parent, or loved one.
188.8.131.52: We released 184.108.40.206 to help fix the foundation of the Internet by building a faster, more secure and privacy-centric public DNS resolver. This is available publicly for everyone to use - it is the first consumer-focused service Cloudflare has ever released. Here’s the deal - we don’t store client IP addresses never, ever. We will continue to abide by our privacy commitment and ensure that no user data is sold to advertisers or used to target consumers.
Sound like something you’d like to be a part of? We’d love to hear from you!
This position may require access to information protected under U.S. export control laws, including the U.S. Export Administration Regulations. Please note that any offer of employment may be conditioned on your authorization to receive software or technology controlled under these U.S. export laws without sponsorship for an export license.
Cloudflare is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all people and place great value in both diversity and inclusiveness. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to their, or any other person's, perceived or actual race, color, religion, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, physical or mental disability, medical condition, family care status, or any other basis protected by law. We are an AA/Veterans/Disabled Employer.
Cloudflare provides reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job. Examples of reasonable accommodations include, but are not limited to, changing the application process, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment. If you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job, please contact us via e-mail at [email protected] or via mail at 101 Townsend St. San Francisco, CA 94107.