Director, Business Development (Strategic Growth Partnerships) at BigCommerce
BigCommerce is disrupting the e-commerce industry as the SaaS leader for fast- growing, mid-market businesses. We enable our customers to build intuitive and engaging stores to support every stage of their growth.
BigCommerce, named "Best Place to Work" is looking for a Director of Business Development, Strategic Growth Partnerships. As a Director of Business Development, you will be responsible for identifying strategic partnerships that drive customer growth for BigCommerce.
This role will lead a small team, initially, focused on partnership development globally, with a direct report aligned to expanding our tech partner ecosystem in LATAM. Success in this role will be defined by a steady stream of new strategic partners who drive merchants (small, medium enterprise) to BigCommerce. BigCommerce rewards partners financially for referrals and reselling, and we’ve found optimal success when the partner has strategic motivation - on top of financial motivation - to have their merchant customers on the BigCommerce platform.
The ideal candidate has shown success in leading successful indirect sales initiatives via partnerships. The ideal candidate will have experience with aligning partner motivations with desired business outcomes to build creative programs that drive Partner + BigC critical metrics. eCommerce ecosystem experience, while not required, will help the candidate succeed in the role and is a desired trait.
This role will report to the SVP, Business Development, and will work collaboratively with the SBD team leadership in seeking partnership opportunities to explore. The role will have one direct report at the start; a business development manager responsible for building BigCommerce’s tech partnerships in Latin America.What You’ll Do:
- Identify companies as prospects for strategic growth partnership with BigCommerce; specifically, companies who are/should be motivated to have their merchant customers and prospects using the BigCommerce platform.
- Lead all aspects of business development to explore partnership paths with these companies; from initial outreach to conceptualization, creative partnership development, deal term negotiations, commercial term development and contract signing.
- Work closely with the SBD leadership team to identify areas of strategic growth potential, demonstrating their experience and category expertise to guide prospecting and partnership development.
- Develop a detailed understanding of both BigCommerce (i.e. products, services, and value proposition) and of the key attributes of the best BigCommerce Strategic Partners.
- Develop and maintain accurate reports including pipeline, forecast, leads, opportunities and closed won reports.
- Handle the first SBD BD Manager for Latin America, supporting their efforts to build the best possible ecosystem of technology partners for BigCommerce as we evolve our business in the territory. As this person’s manager, the Director will be responsible for helping the Manager set the strategy for ecosystem development, and support their partnership development efforts.
- Travel as needed to prospect for new partners and meet with partners to develop strong, successful relationships.
- Experienced in high-level deal making with senior leadership and their cross-functional teams at companies of all sizes
- Creative deal maker, aligning partner motivations and important metrics to build and implement successful, mutually profitable programs
- Experienced manager of other business development or sales team members
- You ideally have a commerce and/or partnerships background and bring an ability to communicate and collaborate with a broad range of partners, including both internal and external senior executives. Most importantly, you are revenue oriented, a self-starter, with a proven track record of providing problem-solving leadership and meeting revenue targets via solutions-based consultative sales best-practices.
- Experienced in building excellent working relationships with all key business leaders, colleagues and broader teams internally and externally.
- 5+ years’ experience managing partnerships that drive significant and measurable important metrics, ideally at a $50M+ company.
- Fast-paced, hard-working, upbeat and enthusiastic about the opportunities that exist in eCommerce today, recognizing that strategic growth potential is everywhere in this constantly evolving industry.
- Experience within a SaaS platform or eCommerce organization driving adoption of a SaaS-based solution with Partners and their clients.
- A doer that flourishes with challenges and has a validated history of reliably, consistently achieving revenue quotas and objectives, within a sophisticated client focused business.
- A master communicator with excellent communication (written and verbal), presentation, and client/partner relationship skills.
- Cool under pressure and able to remain collected and focused in a fast-paced, high pressure, dynamic environment.
- Analytical with a high degree of discernment, along with the ability to negotiate creative, sophisticated deal terms from initial deal terms to signed contracts.
- Able to travel as needed.