Technical Writer, Cloud at MongoDB
The database market is massive (the IDC estimates it to be $89B+ by 2024!) and MongoDB is at the head of its disruption. The MongoDB community is transforming industries and empowering developers to build amazing apps that people use every day. We are the leading modern data platform and the first database provider to IPO in over 20 years. Join our team and be at the forefront of innovation and creativity.
The MongoDB Documentation team is a diverse and highly technical group of engineers who develop and maintain the documentation for the MongoDB Product family. Our mission is to help developers and administrators successfully use MongoDB products by providing outstanding documentation. The MongoDB Documentation team is tightly integrated with the engineering teams responsible for each product.
The Cloud & Enterprise Tools documentation team is responsible for the following MongoDB products and services:
MongoDB Atlas, the cloud-hosted, fully managed database as a service
MongoDB Cloud Manager, the cloud-hosted database management service
MongoDB Ops Manager, the on premises database management service
MongoDB Kubernetes Operator, orchestrate MongoDB pods and their Cloud or Ops Manager configuration
MongoDB BI Connector, the SQL proxy for MongoDB
MongoDB Charts, create visualizations for data in MongoDB
MongoDB Compass, the GUI for MongoDB
MongoDB Spark Connector, the connector for Apache Spark
We are hands on in our approach to learning complex technical topics and building engineer-focused content on: distributed systems in the cloud, REST APIs, backup and restoration, creating and modifying database deployments, enterprise-grade security, performance, and managing high availability and scalability in MongoDB clusters.
Your work will empower a global community of millions of engineers ranging from experienced MongoDB users to those new to MongoDB.Candidate Profile
Candidates must have 5+ years of combined experience across any of the following roles: technical writer, developer advocate, software engineer, and/or product management. Beyond industry experience, we are looking for someone who is:
- Experienced helping engineers understand product concepts, perform procedures, and use REST APIs
- A critical reader and an excellent writer
- Experienced deploying and troubleshooting instances of software management tools locally and on one or more of the major cloud providers (AWS, GCP, Azure)
- Experienced testing and troubleshooting new product software
- Work with technical and non-technical teams to meet the documentation needs of our readers
- Research product features and validate with diligent testing
- Produce technically accurate documentation that users value
- Contribute feedback to the team, through copy review and planning discussions
In 3 months:
- You are comfortable with our toolchain and writing style
- You can complete small to medium complexity writing assignments
- You are getting to know our Cloud and Enterprise Tools engineers and are getting comfortable with participating in intra and inter team discussions
- You completed the required technical training and courses required of MongoDB Engineering
In 6 months:
- You create or update documentation for features and writing tutorials
- You possess a working knowledge of the products and know who to follow up with when you need to learn more
- You have adapted to our style of writing and your work has minimal grammar, syntax, or spelling errors
- You can review the work of your peers without reservation and can learn from what they have written
In 12 months:
- You actively take on documenting entire feature sets, complex tutorials, and high level concepts
- You know how much work you can manage and are contributing at a healthy pace
- You provide quality copy and technical reviews for your team members
- You and your manager have discussed your career trajectory and growth opportunities
To drive the personal growth and business impact of our employees, we’re committed to developing a supportive and enriching culture for everyone. From employee affinity groups, to fertility assistance and a generous parental leave policy, we value our employees’ wellbeing and want to support them along every step of their professional and personal journeys. Learn more about what it’s like to work at MongoDB, and help us make an impact on the world!
MongoDB, Inc. provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.