Cloud Big Data Operations
HomeAway, a world leader in the vacation rental industry, is the place to book beach houses, cabins, and condos with more than two million places to stay in 190 countries. The site makes it easy to find and book the perfect vacation rental for any getaway, often for less than the cost of traditional hotel accommodations. HomeAway is part of the Expedia Group family of brands.
Are you passionate about supporting large scale data products, processes, frameworks, and tools that enable enterprise-wide delivery of data and analytics? If so, HomeAway’s Data & Analytics Team is interesting in hiring a Big Data Cloud Operations Engineer with a background in implementing enterprise-class data platforms, tools, and frameworks to enable batch & streaming job processing, programmatic data access, analytics, and process automation. We are looking for a highly skilled, motivated individual who is a self starter, passionate about new technologies, and willing to help implement aspects of our analytics operations.
What You’ll Do:
- Design and implement high availability architecture, including disaster recovery
- Implement tools and processes to automate the management of our infrastructure
- Implement and optimize infrastructure configuration for cost, security, and performance
- Implement monitoring and alerting solutions to provide insight into overall platform health
- Craft and maintain documentation of infrastructure and processes
- Participate in on-call support and other daily tasks
- Assist in evaluating new technology to support analytics use cases
- Provide recommendations to improve our data and analytics architecture
- Bachelor's degree in computer science, computer engineering, or a related field
- 2+ years big data and cloud operations experience
- In depth knowledge of big data infrastructure with experience setting up, managing, and troubleshooting large-scale data platforms
- Knowledge of Kafka, Spark, Presto, AWS
- Experience with a scripting language like Python, Ruby, Bash
- Experience writing SQL
- Experience with at least one configuration management tool such as Puppet, Chef, Ansible, Terraform
- Basic system and network troubleshooting
- Self-motivated with the ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Attention to detail
- Highly agile and self starter
- Passion to make a difference
Nice to Haves:
- Familiar with common virtualization or container platforms (Docker)
- Experience with Druid, Looker, Kyvos, Tableau, Qubole operations
- Familiarity with scheduling tools (UAC, Airflow)
- Familiarity with data warehousing principles
- Experience with Jenkins or other continuous integration and delivery tools
Benefits & Perks:
- Competitive health and insurance benefits.
- Competitive salary.
- Annual target bonus or commission.
- Paid vacation and sick time.
- Vacation rental on a yearly basis (taxable benefit).
- Employee Stock Purchase Program.
- Free snacks and beverages.
- Frequent company update talks with our leadership team.
- Free listing on HomeAway.com.
- Electronic, adjustable stand-up desk.
- Discounted Metro & Rail pass.
- Casual dress.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.