We are looking for a Data Architect to join our Commerce Data Engineering team to build data pipelines to enable product and business teams to move faster and achieve greater results! Join as a Data Architect and conduct a variety of exercises from data modeling to data storage assessments as well as deep data analysis specific to the Commerce domain. Success in this role comes from working well with technical teams and non-technical partners by combining an understanding of the infrastructures and pipelines of data movement with attention to detail of specific data for the commerce pipeline.
The Data Architect will be responsible for both infrastructure and specific data details in our Commerce Data space. This includes understanding the data in and out, being able to explain it to technical participants and leaders, influencing data decisions, and designing consumption and presentation patterns for the data.
What You’ll Do
- Analyze requirements of partners who use the data and anticipate the needs and uses of our data by various partners and end users
- Master the specifics of the data available from sources and its business usage
- Highlight and communicate issues with data to both technical and non-technical consumers
- Meet with leadership to present key findings, clearly communicate challenges, and offer suggestions for resolution
- Participate with diverse teams and groups in the planning and execution of products and projects
- Proactively influence data strategy across our team and our broader organization
- Ensure accurate testing and data quality control processes are established, implemented, and followed to enable high data integrity, volumes, and frequency.
- Understand usage patterns and the data storage capabilities that best fit those patterns for both storage and access
- Assess the cost and benefits related to different data pipelines/storage in cloud and on premises
- Communicate and encourage relational and non-relational data patterns and practices
- Participate with broader architectural teams in developing corporate standards for processes and data classifications
Who You Are
- Both skilled at data analysis and an effective communicator with a bias for action
- Strong business sense and logical skills to balance decisions with intuition.
- Ability to independently drive research and solutions from inception through to completion and production deployment
- Capable of working closely with business and product teams to ensure data solutions line up with business initiatives and are of high quality
- Experience with of all aspects of data systems including database design, ETL, aggregation strategy, performance optimization and completely comfortable digging into data through various means such as SQL or scripting
- 8+ years working with data architecture, data analysis, and software solutions
- 4+ years of experience building data pipelines in the cloud with tools like S3, Hadoop, Hive; working with Petabytes of data
- Deep experience with both relational and non-relational data systems such as Teradata, SQL Server, Elasticsearch, Cassandra
- Experience with real-time streaming technology such as Kafka, XML/JSON, and with API data access patterns
- Experience working with various tools and processes like Spark, Scala, Airflow, Splunk, Datadog, Docker, Jenkins
- Experience w/ Booking or Commerce Data big plus!
- Knowledge about applicable data privacy practices and laws around sensitive, personal, and secure information
Expedia is committed to creating an inclusive work environment with a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. This employer participates in E-Verify. The employer will provide the Social Security Administration (SSA) and, if necessary, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) with information from each new employee's I-9 to confirm work authorization.