The database market is massive (the IDC estimates it to be $106B+ by 2024!) and MongoDB is at the head of its disruption. The MongoDB community is transforming industries and empowering developers to build amazing apps that people use every day. We are the leading modern data platform and the first database provider to IPO in over 20 years. Join our team and be at the forefront of innovation and creativity.
MongoDB is growing rapidly and seeking Data Engineer for the Data Platforms team to be a key contributor to the overall internal data platform at MongoDB. You will design and build a scalable data platform to help drive MongoDB’s growth as a product and as a company, while also lending your technical expertise to other engineers as a mentor and trainer. You will tackle complex platform problems with the goal of making our platform more scalable, reliable, and robust. This role will sit remotely in the US.
Our Ideal Candidate Has Expertise in
- several programming languages (Python, Scala, Go, etc.)
- building scalable data intensive microservices
- orchestration tools like Airflow, Luiji, Azkaban, Cask, etc.
- streaming data processing frameworks like Kafka, Spark Structured Streaming, or Flink
- a diverse set of SQL and NoSQL databases like MongoDB, Cassandra, Redshift, Postgres, etc.
- different storage formats like Parquet, ORC, Avro, Arrow, and JSON
- AWS services such as EMR, Lambda, S3, Athena, Glue, IAM, RDS, etc.
- Git and Github
- CI/CD Pipelines
- Constantly think of ways to squeeze better performance out of a data platform
- Communicate with other teams to discover requirements for designing and building a solution that will scale to their needs
- Plan effective data storage, security, sharing, and publishing within the organization
- Design boilerplate architecture that can abstract underlying technology from end users
- Design, manage, and test disaster recovery procedures for a variety of data platforms
- Value code simplicity and performance
- Obsess over data: everything needs to be accounted for and be thoroughly tested
- You are deeply familiar with Spark and/or Hive
- You are familiar with deployment and configuration tools such as Kubernetes, Drone, and Terraform
- You have expert experience building microservices
- You’ve built an end-to-end production-grade data platform that runs on cloud infrastructure
- You have expertise building a machine learning platform using tools like SparkML, Pytorch, Tensorflow, Scikit-Learn, etc.
- You have experience building a web frontend using frameworks like React
As a Data Engineer, Platform, you will
- Estimate task complexity, report progress, and voice risks to peers and managers
- Both learn from and teach peers and junior engineers
- Develop and maintain expertise in the best big data practices
- Build a large-scale batch and real-time data platform that will make engineering pipelines seamless and scalable
- Help drive the best methods in continuous integration and delivery
- Help drive optimization, testing, and tooling to improve data platform quality
- Collaborate with other software engineers, machine learning masters, and stakeholders, taking learning and leadership opportunities that will arise every single day
- In three months you will have familiarized yourself with much of our data platform, be making regular contributions to our codebase, will be collaborating regularly with stakeholders to widen your knowledge, and helping to resolve incidents and respond to user requests
- In six months you will have successfully investigated, scoped, executed, and documented a small to medium sized project and worked with stakeholders to make sure their data needs are satisfied by implementing improvements to our platform
- In a year you will have become the key person for several projects within the team and will have contributed to the data platform’s roadmap. You will have made several sizable contributions to the project and are regularly looking to improve the overall stability and scalability of the architecture
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform crucial job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
To drive the personal growth and business impact of our employees, we’re committed to developing a supportive and enriching culture for everyone. From employee affinity groups, to fertility assistance and a generous parental leave policy, we value our employees’ wellbeing and want to support them along every step of their professional and personal journeys. Learn more about what it’s like to work at MongoDB, and help us make an impact on the world!
MongoDB is committed to providing any necessary accommodations for individuals with disabilities within our application and interview process. To request an accommodation due to a disability, please inform your recruiter.
MongoDB, Inc. provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.