Data Science Manager
HomeAway, a world leader in the vacation rental industry, is the place to book beach houses, cabins, and condos with more than two million places to stay in 190 countries. The site makes it easy to find and book the perfect vacation rental for any getaway, often for less than the cost of traditional hotel accommodations. HomeAway is part of the Expedia Group family of brands.
As for engineering, we solve problems of scale and work on cutting edge and open-source technologies. Our culture is one that strives on solving difficult problems focusing on product engineering based on hypothesis testing to empower people to come up with ideas.
- Act as player-coach for team overseen. This includes being a technical leader, with an expectation to contribute in a technical capacity as a Data Scientist. Other aspect of “player-coach” include: mentoring individual contributors, identifying and cultivating key talent and ensuring an efficient working environment (by, for example, removing blockers). In this particular role, leading Data Scientists focussing on the Content efforts are required. This Manager is expected to coordinate the team’s work across disjoint projects
- Ensure that the work being done by Team is connected to Expedia and HomeAway business drivers
- Escalating any performance issues (positive or negative) to more senior management
- Mundane tasks such as approving time-cards, ensuring status communication, preparing outward communications, and one on one meetings with direct reports
- To lead effectively, the Manager must have a sufficient education and work experience combination to be a data scientist. Typically, this is a Masters or PhD in a quantitative field, but can be relaxed with sufficient work experience
- Several years (3+) of data science roles in a corporate environment. The “data science roles” ensure technical capability. The “corporate environment” provides connection to a corporation’s business, and evidence that the Manager knows how to manage and be managed.
- Fundamental data science skills - mathematics, coding, machine learning, storytelling
- Evidence of Team Leadership, for example, providing leadership on and/or management for other teams
- 3+ years experience with Unstructured data preferably Natural Language Processing (NLP) and/or Image Processing/Computer Vision
- 3+ years Python development experience
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
Benefits & Perks:
- Competitive health and insurance benefits
- Competitive salary
- Annual target bonus or commission
- Paid vacation and sick time
- Vacation rental on a yearly basis (taxable benefit)
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Free snacks and beverages
- Frequent company update talks with our leadership team
- Free listing on HomeAway.com
- Electronic, adjustable stand-up desk
- Discounted Metro & Rail pass
- Casual dress
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.