Data Science Manager
Have you ever had the opportunity to impact the lives of millions of people in a meaningful way and help them enjoy time away with their friends and families building memories?
Love data, science, technology & coding? How about vacations? Want a job where data, science and vacations swipe right? Like to drive an extraordinary experience for millions of people taking vacations by connecting them with millions of vacation rental properties? Passionate about leading the people and processes involved with building and shipping complex models to solve relevance and personalization problems, model testing and evaluation and feature engineering? If so, then Vrbo has a Manager of Data Science role for you!
As a Manager of Data Science at Vrbo – you’ll play a significant role in defining our processes to architect, visualize, and interpret critical data that is at the very core of our business. You will manage a team of strong data scientists that are partnered with our leaders to understand objectives, and then work alongside your Scientists and the broader group of analysts and engineers to execute and communicate findings back to the business through visualizations and presentations. Simply put – we want you to be Vrbo’s leading expert on managing data scientists and predictive analytic processes.
What You'll Do:
Day to Day responsibilities include:
- Act as player-coach for team overseen. This includes being a technical leader, with an expectation to contribute in a technical capacity as a Data Scientist.
- This position will lead the oversight of the team: ensuring that process, policy, developing, and mentoring all align with Expedia goals; driving organizational strategy, focus, and direction; and leading an environment of continuous improvement.
- Ensure that the work being performed is lined up with the Expedia and Vrbo business entities.
- Build, manage and motivate a high performing team
- Provide thought leadership to both data scientists and BI analysts as well as leaders across the organization.
- Develops and implements strategies to attract and maintain a highly skilled and engaged workforce
- Iterate quickly in an agile development process
Who You Are:
- Extraordinary data science skills - mathematics, coding, machine learning, storytelling
- Verifiable history of leadership experience
- Ability to focus on multiple complex projects
- Lead by example in a manner that encourages collaboration across the business
- An understanding of servant leadership, if not formal knowledge of the practice
Experience and Qualification:
- Masters or PhD in a quantitative field, but can be relaxed with sufficient work experience
- 3+ years’ experience with Natural Language Processing (NLP)
- 5+ years Python development experience
Benefits & Perks:
- Competitive salary and health benefits.
- Annual target bonus or commission.
- Parental leave for up to 20 weeks (dependent on eligibility).
- Paid vacation and sick time.
- Employee Stock Purchase Program.
- Free snacks and beverages.
- Frequent company update talks with our leadership team.
- Free listing on Vrbo.com.
- Electronic, adjustable stand-up desk.
- Discounted Metro & Rail pass.
- Casual dress.
Why join us:
Expedia Group recognizes our success is dependent on the success of our people. We are the world's travel platform, made up of the most knowledgeable, passionate, and creative people in our business. Our brands recognize the power of travel to break down barriers and make people's lives better – that responsibility inspires us to be the place where exceptional people want to do their best work, and to provide them to tools to do so.
Whether you're applying to work in engineering or customer support, marketing or lodging supply, at Expedia Group we act as one team, working towards a common goal; to bring the world within reach. We relentlessly strive for better, but not at the cost of the customer. We act with humility and optimism, respecting ideas big and small. We value diversity and voices of all volumes. We are a global organization but keep our feet on the ground so we can act fast and stay simple. Our teams also have the chance to give back on a local level and make a difference through our corporate social responsibility program, Expedia Cares.
Our family of travel brands includes: Brand Expedia®, Hotels.com®, Expedia® Partner Solutions, Egencia®, trivago®, Vrbo®, Orbitz®, Travelocity®, Wotif®, lastminute.com.au®, ebookers®, CheapTickets®, Hotwire®, Classic Vacations®, Expedia® Media Solutions, CarRentals.com™, Expedia Local Expert®, Expedia® CruiseShipCenters®, SilverRail Technologies, Inc., ALICE and Traveldoo®.
In 1995, Vrbo introduced a new way for people to travel together, pairing homeowners with families and friends looking for places to stay. We were grounded in one purpose: To give people the space they need to drop the distractions of everyday life and simply be together. Since then, we've grown into a global community of homeowners and travelers, with unique properties in 190 countries around the world. Vrbo makes it easy and fun to book cabins, condos, beach houses and every kind of space in between.
Vrbo is part of HomeAway and the Expedia Group family of brands and offers homeowners and property managers exposure to over 750 million visits to Expedia Group sites each month. To learn more, visit www.vrbo.com.
Expedia is committed to creating an inclusive work environment with a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. This employer participates in E-Verify. The employer will provide the Social Security Administration (SSA) and, if necessary, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) with information from each new employee's I-9 to confirm work authorization.