Lead Big Data Developer
VRBO , a world leader in the vacation rental industry, is the place to book beach houses, cabins, and condos with more than two million places to stay in 190 countries. The site makes it easy to find and book the perfect vacation rental for any getaway, often for less than the cost of traditional hotel accommodations. VRBO is part of the Expedia Group family of brands.
Expedia Group has a mission to become the world’s travel platform. As part of that effort, the Traveler Digital and Analytics team at VRBO is building a 360-degree view of the Traveler data (clickstream, search, conversations etc.) to enable the company to offer the most relevant and personalized travel experiences.
We start by enriching event streams in real-time to provide programmatic access to clean, fast, and authoritative data sources in real time for entire company. We then create robust enriched data products (think periodic facts, aggregates) and refresh them intra-day to enable self-service analytics. We also create executive reports and dashboards that monitor the core KPIs and also provides insights for macro and micro conversion analysis.
What You’ll Do:
- Build and support scalable and durable data solutions that can enable self-service advanced analytics at VRBO using cloud based technologies in an agile manner
- Support VRBO’s product and business team’s specific data and reporting needs on a global scale
- Close partnership with internal partners from Engineering, product, and business (Traveler, Marketing etc.).
- Drive technical design and development around real-time data analytics.
Who You Are:
- Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree in Computer Science or Engineering or related experience required.
- Experience building data pipelines with data from event streams, NoSQL, APIs etc. on distributed data systems (Hadoop/AWS etc)
- Batch (using Spark) or stream processing (preferably Kstream) experience required
- Professional development experience in Scala/Java
- Experience with all aspects of data systems (both Big data and traditional) including database design, ETL/ELT, aggregation strategy, performance optimization, SQL.
- Experience in Clickstream domain (tracking libraries, server side logging, canonical event model, data & self-service analytics etc.) a huge plus
Benefits & Perks:
- Competitive health and insurance benefits.
- Competitive salary.
- Annual target bonus or commission.
- Parental leave for up to 20 weeks (dependent on eligibility).
- Paid vacation and sick time.
- Employee Stock Purchase Program.
- Free snacks and beverages.
- Frequent company update talks with our leadership team.
- Free listing on Vrbo.com.
- Electronic, adjustable stand-up desk.
- Discounted Metro & Rail pass.
- Casual dress.
Why join us
Expedia Group recognizes our success is dependent on the success of our people. We are the world's travel platform, made up of the most knowledgeable, passionate, and creative people in our business. Our brands recognize the power of travel to break down barriers and make people's lives better – that responsibility inspires us to be the place where exceptional people want to do their best work, and to provide them to tools to do so.
Whether you're applying to work in engineering or customer support, marketing or lodging supply, at Expedia Group we act as one team, working towards a common goal; to bring the world within reach. We relentlessly strive for better, but not at the cost of the customer. We act with humility and optimism, respecting ideas big and small. We value diversity and voices of all volumes. We are a global organization but keep our feet on the ground so we can act fast and stay simple. Our teams also have the chance to give back on a local level and make a difference through our corporate social responsibility program, Expedia Cares.
Our family of travel brands includes: Brand Expedia®, Hotels.com®, Expedia® Partner Solutions, Egencia®, trivago®, HomeAway®, Orbitz®, Travelocity®, Wotif®, lastminute.com.au®, ebookers®, CheapTickets®, Hotwire®, Classic Vacations®, Expedia® Media Solutions, CarRentals.com™, Expedia Local Expert®, Expedia® CruiseShipCenters®, SilverRail Technologies, Inc., ALICE and Traveldoo®.
In 1995, Vrbo introduced a new way for people to travel together, pairing homeowners with families and friends looking for places to stay. We were grounded in one purpose: To give people the space they need to drop the distractions of everyday life and simply be together. Since then, we've grown into a global community of homeowners and travelers, with unique properties in 190 countries around the world. Vrbo makes it easy and fun to book cabins, condos, beach houses and every kind of space in between.
Vrbo is part of HomeAway and the Expedia Group family of brands and offers homeowners and property managers exposure to over 750 million visits to Expedia Group sites each month. To learn more, visit www.vrbo.com.
Expedia is committed to creating an inclusive work environment with a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. This employer participates in E-Verify. The employer will provide the Social Security Administration (SSA) and, if necessary, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) with information from each new employee's I-9 to confirm work authorization.