Big Data Platform Developer
Have you ever had the opportunity to impact the lives of millions of people in a meaningful way and help them enjoy time away with their friends and families building memories?
That is what we do here at HomeAway.com, an Expedia Inc. company. We are the leading vacation rental website in the world with more than one million online bookable vacation rentals. Our mission is to make every vacation rental in the world available to every traveler in the world through our online marketplace and we're committed to helping families and friends find the perfect vacation rental to create unforgettable travel experiences together.
As for engineering, we solve problems of scale and work on cutting edge and open-source technologies. Our culture is one that strives on solving difficult problems focusing on product engineering based on hypothesis testing to empower people to come up with ideas. Technologies we work with include Kafka, KStream,Spark, Samza, Core Java, Flink, Hadoop, Docker, AWS (EC2, S3, Lambda, multi data center architecture).
What You’ll Do
If you’re the right person for the job you will be joining the growing Cloud Engineering team focusing on our Data Platform. As a Sr Big DataPlatform Developer you will continue to drive HomeAway's culture of engineering excellence. The Cloud Engineering – Digital Platform team manages the infrastructure, services, and data pipelines that empower the organization to have the right information at the right time. The team consistently delivers, and has continually enjoyed a high customer satisfaction score as measured byHomeAway's engineers.
What You’ll Get:
As a member of the Digital Platform Engineering team you will be driving HomeAway's engineering culture, by building, evangelizing and supporting our multi-petabyte Data Platform. You’ll have the chance to work with highly powered distributed systems and the latest industry tools ensuring no chance of boredom. Our ever-growing footprint will give you the opportunity to work at scale while being creative in an agile team. You’ll be joining a team that grows together, and people go out of their way to help each other succeed. You’ll also get to work with stakeholders across the globe gaining international experience in a fast-paced C2C Travel industry while working in an incredible office space!
- Design, develop, and maintain the software and systems that drive the Stream Processing, Big Data Platform
- Develop governance model and best practices for the Stream Processing, Big Data Platform
- Interface with application teams and drive best practices among Homeaway developer community in using the StreamProcessing, Big Data Platform
- Ensure the platform goes through ContinuousIntegration (CI) and Continuous Deployment (CD) with DevOps automation
- Deliver the codes with high quality, including proper design review, unit testing, integration testing.
- Maintain the big data platform by diagnosing, predicting and correcting scaling problems
- Must have hands on experience in architecture, design, implementation, and build of applications or micro services using Core Java
- Experience in developing java libraries
- Hands on experience with Kafka, KStream or other related stream processing frameworks such as Samza, Flink.
- Strong understanding of DistributedComputing and experience working on Big Data Processing Frameworks and Tools– MapReduce, YARN, Spark is a plus
- Experience with CI/CD pipeline, DevOps automation
- Excellent troubleshooting and problem solving skills
- Communicate clearly to technical and business audiences
- Be well organized with a healthy sense of urgency, and able to set, communicate, and meet aggressive deadlines and milestones
- Self-motivate, learn quickly and deliver results with minimal supervision
- 5+ years of software development experience focused on developing java based services i
- Experience in Docker, Cloud Deployments (AWS),Terraform is a plus
- Experience with Cloud Based Services andArchitectures is a plus
- Experience integrating solutions in a multi-region environment is a plus
- Contributor to open source software is a plus
- Have published or contributed to technical blogs is a plus
- Level 3 support experience is a plus
- Competitive health and insurance benefits
- Competitive salary
- Annual target bonus or commission
- Paid vacation and sick time
- Vacation rental on a yearly basis (taxable benefit)
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Free snacks and beverages
- Frequent company update talks with our leadership team
- Free listing on HomeAway.com
- Electronic, adjustable stand-up desk
- Discounted Metro & Rail pass
- Casual dress