DevOps Engineer at Expedia Group
VRBO’s Pipeline Engineering team is looking for a talented DevOps engineer with hands-on programming, release engineering and configuration management skills. We are building the next generation CI/CD platform for VRBO to deliver the best online vacation rental marketplace with an exceptional user experience. You will work on a small team and collaborate with the development teams to improve existing processes with automation and industry best practices for continuous integration. Our culture is one that strives on solving difficult problems focusing on product engineering based on hypothesis testing to empower people to come up with ideas.
What you’ll do:
- Decreasing the amount of time to get software to customers.
- Improve deployment, scalability, and management of our services
- Automating deployments of cloud-based highly-available containerized services.
- Developing fast, scalable, highly available, and reliable applications
- Developing features that will drive our business through real-time feedback loops
- Deploying and using CI/CD platforms which may include: Installation, Configuration, Management, and Improvement of CI Platform (Jenkins, TeamCity, etc.); Proficiency with application build/package/distribution tools such as Maven, Artifactory, etc.
- Supporting existing customers and solutions with a high level of service and an eye towards continuous improvement.
- Performing analysis on best practices and emerging concepts in DevOps and Infrastructure Automation.
- Performing profiling and troubleshooting of existing solutions.
- Working with the team to determine tool requirements, driving implementation, documentation, maintenance, and improvement.
- Communicating effectively and cooperatively with cross-functional teams across geographic regions and cultures.
- Mining and sharing data on performance, availability and usability of new and existing systems.
- You will contribute to vigilantly rewriting, refactoring, and perfecting code
- Dedicated to delivering tested and optimized high-performance code for a distributed environment
- Develop quality scalable, tested and reliable applications using industry-standard methodologies
- Work with QA, product management and operations in an agile environment
- Participate in resolution of production issues and lead efforts toward solutions
- Opportunities to showcase your work on our tech blog and internal & external conferences
Technologies We Use: Java, Groovy, AWS ecosystem, Jenkins, CloudBees Jenkins, Docker, Mesos, Kubernetes, Python, Spark, Node.js, Git, Scala, Splunk, NewRelic, DataDog, Elasticsearch, Cassandra, Kafka and the Hadoop ecosystem
Who you are:
- BS or MS in Computer Science or equivalent experience
- You should have 5+ years of professional software development experience
- Ability to mentor junior engineers
- A good foundation of Agile principles and practices
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to work well across multiple departments
- An analytical problem solver that is passionate about delivering a high-quality user experience
- Comfortable with On-Call Support responsibilities, via phone, chat, and experience with ticketing systems.
- AWS ecosystem or similar experience: Compute (EC2, ECS, Lambda); Application Services (Cloudfront, Api Gateway, ELB, SQS, SNS, SWF); Storage (S3, RDS, other DB products); Networking (VPC, WAF); Security/Auth/Auditing (IAM, CloudTrail); Monitoring (CloudWatch)
- Container technology for application packaging, delivery, and operation. Docker preferred though we will consider other container technologies: Container Orchestration tools (Docker Swarm, Kubernetes, etc.); Distributed systems architectures and related tools (Service Discovery, Config/Secret Management, etc.)
Nice to have:
- IOS/Android skills
Benefits & Perks:
- Competitive health and insurance benefits
- Competitive salary
- Annual target bonus or commission
- Parental leave for up to 20 weeks (dependent on eligibility)
- Paid vacation and sick time
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Free snacks and beverages
- Frequent company update talks with our leadership team
- Free listing on vrbo.com
- Electronic, adjustable stand-up desk
- Discounted Metro & Rail pass
- Casual dress
Why join us
Expedia Group recognizes our success is dependent on the success of our people. We are the world's travel platform, made up of the most knowledgeable, passionate, and creative people in our business. Our brands recognize the power of travel to break down barriers and make people's lives better – that responsibility inspires us to be the place where exceptional people want to do their best work, and to provide them to tools to do so.
Whether you're applying to work in engineering or customer support, marketing or lodging supply, at Expedia Group we act as one team, working towards a common goal; to bring the world within reach. We relentlessly strive for better, but not at the cost of the customer. We act with humility and optimism, respecting ideas big and small. We value diversity and voices of all volumes. We are a global organization but keep our feet on the ground so we can act fast and stay simple. Our teams also have the chance to give back on a local level and make a difference through our corporate social responsibility program, Expedia Cares.
Our family of travel brands includes: Brand Expedia®, Hotels.com®, Expedia® Partner Solutions, Egencia®, trivago®, HomeAway®, Orbitz®, Travelocity®, Wotif®, lastminute.com.au®, ebookers®, CheapTickets®, Hotwire®, Classic Vacations®, Expedia® Media Solutions, CarRentals.com™, Expedia Local Expert®, Expedia® CruiseShipCenters®, SilverRail Technologies, Inc., ALICE and Traveldoo®.
In 1995, Vrbo introduced a new way for people to travel together, pairing homeowners with families and friends looking for places to stay. We were grounded in one purpose: To give people the space they need to drop the distractions of everyday life and simply be together. Since then, we've grown into a global community of homeowners and travelers, with unique properties in 190 countries around the world. Vrbo makes it easy and fun to book cabins, condos, beach houses and every kind of space in between.
Vrbo is part of HomeAway and the Expedia Group family of brands and offers homeowners and property managers exposure to over 750 million visits to Expedia Group sites each month. To learn more, visit www.vrbo.com.Expedia is committed to creating an inclusive work environment with a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. This employer participates in E-Verify. The employer will provide the Social Security Administration (SSA) and, if necessary, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) with information from each new employee's I-9 to confirm work authorization.