The database market is massive (the IDC estimates it to be $89B+ by 2024!) and MongoDB is at the head of its disruption. The MongoDB community is transforming industries and empowering developers to build amazing apps that people use every day. We are the leading modern data platform and the first database provider to IPO in over 20 years.
Join the MongoDB Query team, and help us build a world-class distributed open source query engine. Our team plays a crucial role in the experience and performance of data processing. We are responsible for the MongoDB Query Language and the lifecycle of each query, from parsing to optimization to plan selection and finally execution. This also includes our geospatial search and update subsystems.
Our global team is growing fast. We are hiring remote engineers in North America and Europe and office-based work in New York City, Palo Alto and Dublin. This rapid growth requires a Director who will help the team meet its ambitious growth goals for both people and projects.
We have tons of interesting problems to solve with direct impact on users for transactional, time-series and analytical workloads. The team is just setting out on a huge endeavor to rewrite the major components of our optimization and execution systems. We need your help to design and build the heart of a distributed, flexible schema, document database.Successful candidates will have a majority of the following qualities
- At least 5 years of experience in a management position. A manager of engineering managers is a plus
- Proven success with hiring for, mentoring and growing strong geographically distributed software engineering teams
- Committed to building and fostering a diverse and supportive culture
- Excellent verbal and written technical communication skills and desire for cross-team collaboration
- Excellent time management skills and the ability to make and evaluate realistic assessments of project complexity
- Proven success in designing, writing, testing and maintaining distributed and/or highly concurrent software systems in large, long-lived code bases. C/C++ knowledge is a plus
- At least 7 years of experience in programming, debugging and performance tuning, and a strong grip on the foundational material of computer science
- Professional or advanced academic expertise in the domains of data processing and databases
- Contribute ideas and work with Product Management as well as technical and senior leadership to build a roadmap for the team’s deliverables
- Ensure smooth and timely execution of projects
- Appropriately allocate team resources, balancing efforts between building new features and supporting/maintaining previous releases.
- Grow your organization ensuring desirable skill composition, high job satisfaction and vibrant culture
- Delegate effectively splitting your own time between technical and management aspects of the position
- Know your team members’ strengths and professional objectives
- Understand and be able to explain the technical architecture of the query components
- Contribute in technical discussions and provide meaningful reviews of team members’ technical documents based on your prior experience
- Provide a code contribution to MongoDB
- Know the technical architecture of the MongoDB database system
- Ensure team delivers with high quality and predictability
- Supervise the short-term (quarterly and annual) planning process for your team
- Establish working professional relationships with other key leads and directors
- Mentor team leaders
- Supervise hiring and retention for your team
- Have a vision for the future of the query components
- Have a plan to execute that vision along with planning for team growth
- Represent the query team interests and work with other stakeholders to balance priorities among requests from other teams to come up with quarterly and yearly roadmaps
- Drive experiments and changes to procedures and processes to optimize team velocity and scaling
To drive the personal growth and business impact of our employees, we’re committed to developing a supportive and enriching culture for everyone. From employee affinity groups, to fertility assistance and a generous parental leave policy, we value our employees’ wellbeing and want to support them along every step of their professional and personal journeys. Learn more about what it’s like to work at MongoDB, and help us make an impact on the world!
MongoDB is committed to providing any necessary accommodations for individuals with disabilities within our application and interview process. To request an accommodation due to a disability, please inform your recruiter.
MongoDB, Inc. provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.