Our Mission: To connect all people in need and the programs that serve them (with dignity and ease).
Aunt Bertha picks up where Uncle Sam leaves off by making it easy to find and apply for government and charitable social service programs. By organizing the world's human service program information, we make it easy for people in need and the people who help them to find help in seconds on https://findhelp.org.
We are looking for people who are driven to make the world a drastically better place and want to join our small group of thoughtful, committed citizens because they believe, as Margaret Mead said, "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has."
Please note: If our mission doesn't strike a chord with you that is OK. But please consider not applying. We are seeking people who come on fire after learning about what we do.
The heart of the job:
Our pioneering software platform has already connected tens of thousands of people in need ("seekers") to thousands of programs to get the help they need – but because there’s so much more we want our product to do, it is rapidly evolving. We need someone who is ready to jump in and make a big difference working through others and through personal contributions to our systems development, architecture, and technical leadership.
The ideal person for this role has a background in hands-on software development and a passion for developing people. You work with software and data engineers to provide the opportunities and projects that will challenge them as they hone their craft. Your leadership and mentorship skills have launched many successful careers.
- Build a proactive and creative software team that shares our core values: Recruit, interview and onboard great engineers. Conduct 1:1’s, provide direct and constructive feedback, help each team member develop their technical and professional skills.
- Make smart tradeoffs and scalable decisions: Provide technical direction to the team that optimizes for time to market without sacrificing reliability. Help make decisions on architecture to scale to millions of users.
- Demonstrate ownership and collaboration: Work effectively with Product, Data Operations, Customer Success, and other cross functional roles to solve product and business problems through technology. Implement and improve processes that ensure visibility to your team’s work.
- Know your industry: Stay on top of technical innovations with part of your time dedicated to coding, and part dedicated to researching new technologies and creative implementations in the industry. Help guide your team in the implementation of best practices around API design, application architecture, writing maintainable code, unit testing, etc.
We want someone who has …
- BS in Computer Science or related area, or relevant work experience
- 5+ years industry experience building production web applications
- 2+ years managing a team of software developers
- Experience with software architecture and scalable systems
- Is driven by the mission of helping others through building amazing software
- Takes pride in helping others develop their careers and achieve their goals
- Enjoys mentoring others and nurturing the development of new skills
- Communicates effectively in writing and speaking
- Is self-motivated to solve problems and develop creative solutions
- Stays current, and is not afraid to review or write code when needed
Bonus Points: any of these would be icing on the cake:
- Experience using agile methodologies in practice (Scrum, Kanban)
- Recent experience in Python, JS / React, or similar web application languages and libraries
- Experience designing for performance (caching, message queues, query tuning)
- Working knowledge of databases and SQL
- Experience delivering projects for mobile (responsive and/or native)
We are not a perfect fit for everyone. Consider these things that we think will help a person thrive here:
- Strong opinions, loosely held // You are an accomplished developer, but first and foremost you are also a great role model for other developers. OOP or functional? React or Angular? Vim or Emacs? The best developers have informed opinions, yet remain open to the possibility that someone else might have a better idea (or that there could be more than one right answer).
- Entrepreneurial // We are still a young, small, but fast-growing company, meaning things change. It also means our team is constantly creating, not just doing what is already established. If you cannot think and act like an entrepreneur at times you may struggle or get frustrated. We need someone with a fearless entrepreneurial spirit who thrives in a rapidly changing environment.
- Team Player (with Discipline) // You are never the type of person who says “that’s not my job." You want the whole team to succeed, yet you have the discipline to operate effectively and efficiently in a collaborative environment and stay focused on achieving your goals.
When submitting your application, please send a cover letter letting us know why Aunt Bertha's mission speaks to you.
While our office is open on a restricted basis for people who need it, the majority of us are working remotely for now due to Covid-19.
Aunt Bertha is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are building a company whose employees understand our users, through their own lived experiences. This means we strive to hire employees that are diverse by race, gender, gender identity, gender expression, age, religion, sexual orientation, physical abilities, veteran status and socio-economic upbringing.