Enterprise Systems Architect
HomeAway, a world leader in the vacation rental industry, is the place to book beach houses, cabins, and condos with more than two million places to stay in 190 countries. The site makes it easy to find and book the perfect vacation rental for any getaway, often for less than the cost of traditional hotel accommodations. HomeAway is part of the Expedia Group family of brands.
We are seeking an architect to join our Enterprise Systems team. As an Architect on this team, you will work with a talented team of Product Managers, Designers, and Developers to continually improve our process, design choices, platforms and technical standards as applied to our internal applications supporting Finance, Commerce, Customer Experience and Partner Success organizations.
Challenges you can work on:
- Engineer smart services that will allow for in-session personalization and programmatic responses based on user behavior and data
- Create extraordinary features by leveraging realtime user behavior feedback data loops and A/B testing to better understand our customer's’ needs before they do
- Share your work with your peers and participate in our Internal Open Source by delivering high quality code that levels up your team and the entire organization
- Dockerize our apps and services for cloud deployment
- Scale our APIs and services to enable other HomeAway teams, products and partners.
- Apply machine learning models to provide insight to customer interactions.
- Develop fast, highly available and reliable applications and services by scaling them to more than 60k requests per second
Technologies we use:
- Java 8, Node.JS, Linux, Jetty, Dropwizard, SQLServer, Elasticsearch, Cassandra, Mongo, AWS, Mesos, Docker, Hadoop, Kafka, Samza, KStream, SQL and NoSQL data stores.
- 12+ of experience developing highly available enterprise web applications and services with state of the art Java and services technologies, embracing REST and service-oriented architecture
- Experience with mico-application / micro-service designed architecture running in AWS cloud environment.
- Experience with large scale streaming systems like Kafka
- Experience with multiple SQL and NoSQL data storage mechanisms like Cassandra or Mongo
- An analytical problem solver that is passionate about delivering a high-quality software
- Experience working with Agile methodologies a must.
- Demonstrated success in being a change agent, with a vision to transform internal systems and operations as needed to fully support our internal business users.
- Strong executive presence and leadership resulting in the ability to forge multi-functional partnerships and drive strong, organization results.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to work well cross-functionally with multiple departments in English
- BS or MS in Computer Science or equivalent experience
- You will be responsible for the overall system integration design and execution by establishing relationships with other architects, engineering teams, DevOps and product management
- Grow a performant production environment in a way that makes the system increasingly reliable
- Responsible for compliance, performance, availability and security by defining and promoting premiere design and coding standards
- You will lead and participate in architectural decisions and reviews
- Provide hands on technical leadership, code review and contribution
- Participate in resolution of production issues and lead efforts toward solutions
- Manage the technical debt by finding opportunities to reduce it whenever possible.
- Provide strategically critical inputs to the organization and drive the technical vision and roadmap
- Evaluate, select and implement new technologies that will be technical accelerators for the entire engineering community
- Promote software quality excellence using best-in-class tools in a continuous integration and delivery lifecyle: Git, Splunk, New Relic, Sonar, Jenkins and TeamCity
- Participate in our inner source culture (Internal Open Source)
- Opportunities to showcase your work on our tech blog and internal & external conferences
- Attend conferences to better understand the industry and trending methodologies.
- Influence the software development organizations to promote excellence and push world-class best practices
- Mentor Senior and Staff software engineers in order to grow the other team members excellence
Benefits & Perks:
- Competitive health and insurance benefits
- Competitive salary
- Annual target bonus or commission
- Paid vacation and sick time
- Vacation rental on a yearly basis (taxable benefit)
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Free snacks and beverages
- Frequent company update talks with our leadership team
- Free listing on HomeAway.com
- Electronic, adjustable stand-up desk
- Discounted Metro & Rail pass
- Casual dress
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.