Java Tools Developer
HomeAway, based in Austin, Texas, is the world leader in vacation rentals with more than 2 million unique places to stay in 190 countries, and is a part of the Expedia, Inc. family of brands.
HomeAway offers an extensive selection of vacation rental homes that provide travelers with memorable experiences and benefits, especially more room to relax, for less than the cost of traditional hotel accommodations. The company also makes it easy for vacation rental owners and property managers to advertise their properties and handle bookings online.
Our HomeAway Monitoring and Operations Center (HAMOC) is looking for a Technical Duty Officer to aid in development projects to support our NOC initiatives. Identify problems and implement solutions that address site and infrastructure resiliency, availability and performance issues. Success in this role will be indicated by projects built to reduce the number of errors, drive down duration of incidents and improve our first to know (FTK) capabilities.
Roles and Responsibilities:
Working with the NOC Manager, you will work closely with development, DevOps, and others to forward a “quick to fix” and “first to know” agenda and balance multiple projects. Will work with Level 2 and Level 3 support organizations in understanding their technologies and facilitating knowledge transfer to lower level support teams.
You will understands the big picture and what it is like to work in a geographically spread out organization; we’re looking for someone who can craft simple and appealing solutions to complex problems. Your main focus will be in incident management and building a premier incident management program. Using their development and scripting skills, they are to build and maintain applications as envisioned by NOC management to bring improvement projects to life. Mentors others as necessary
The candidate has:
- A Bachelor's degree in a technical discipline (Computer Science, Information Technology, Information Systems), or similar work experience in a large scale, 24/7 NOC environment
- We are seeking both a Developer and Operations specialist to round out the team.
- Strong Java and at least one scripting language (Python preferred).
- An in-depth understanding of the technology associated with operating multiple services, applications and platforms, including datacenters, systems, networks, load balancers, and relational databases
- In depth experience support large-scale web applications as a technical incident manager, operations manager, or site reliability engineer.
- Deep knowledge applications management, deployment philosophies, and is thoughtfully opinionated about how to handle a production environment.
- Knowledge of both terrestrial and cloud based data center architecture and administration.
- Significant understanding of core Internet technologies, DNS/Bind, TCP/IP, HTTP, Internet security, and carrier level network troubleshooting.
Benefits & Perks:
- Competitive health and insurance benefits
- Competitive salary
- Annual target bonus or commission
- Paid vacation and sick time
- Vacation rental on a yearly basis (taxable benefit)
- Parental Leave (up to 20 weeks based on eligibility)
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Free snacks and beverages, including breakfast on Fridays
- Frequent company update talks with our leadership team
- Free listing on HomeAway.com
- Electronic, adjustable stand-up desk
- Discounted Metro & Rail pass
- Casual dress
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.