Lead Software Engineer, Back End Java
HomeAway, a world leader in the vacation rental industry, is the place to book beach houses, cabins, and condos with more than two million places to stay in 190 countries. The site makes it easy to find and book the perfect vacation rental for any getaway, often for less than the cost of traditional hotel accommodations. HomeAway is part of the Expedia Group family of brands.
And Engineering? Well, we solve problems of scale and work on cutting edge and open-source technologies. Our culture is one that strives on solving difficult problems focusing on product engineering based on hypothesis testing to empower people to come up with ideas.
Challenges you can work on:
- Scale our services to more than 60k requests per second
- Develop fast, scalable, highly available, and reliable payment engines that will process billions of dollars per year
- Use real-time data to understand customers’ needs before they do
- Dockerize our apps and services for cloud deployment
- Develop features that will drive our business through real-time feedback loops
- Develop a smart service layer that will allow for in-session personalization based off user behavior and data
- Scale our public API to allow other partners to leverage HomeAway services & experiences on third party sites
- Simplify core booking and listing workflow to enhance our travelers & suppliers experience
Technologies we use:
- Java8, AWS ecosystem, Docker, Mesos, Spring Boot, Elasticsearch, Cassandra, Kafka and the Hadoop ecosystem
- BS or MS in Computer Science or equivalent experience
- 8+ years of professional software development experience
- Technical leadership experience
- Excellent communication skills with ability to work well cross-functionally across multiple departments
- An analytical problem solver that is passionate about delivering a high quality user experience
- Deliver tested and optimized high performance code for a distributed environment
- Develop quality scalable, tested and reliable applications using industry best practices
- Commit to ruthlessly rewriting, refactoring, and perfecting code
- Play an instrumental part in our design and architecture processes
- Attend and guide code reviews
- Mentor other team members
- Work cross-functionally with QA, product management and operations in an agile environment
- Participate in resolution of production issues and lead efforts toward solutions
Benefits & Perks:
- Competitive health and insurance benefits.
- Competitive salary.
- Annual target bonus or commission.
- Paid vacation and sick time.
- Vacation rental on a yearly basis (taxable benefit).
- Employee Stock Purchase Program.
- Free snacks and beverages.
- Frequent company update talks with our leadership team.
- Free listing on HomeAway.com.
- Electronic, adjustable stand-up desk.
- Discounted Metro & Rail pass.
- Casual dress.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.