Lead UI Engineer
Have you ever had the opportunity to impact the lives of millions of people in a meaningful way and help them enjoy time away with their friends and families building memories?
That is what we do here at Vrbo.com, an Expedia Group company. We are the leading vacation rental website in the world with more than one million online bookable vacation rentals. Our mission is to make every vacation rental in the world available to every traveler in the world through our online marketplace and we're committed to helping families and friends find the perfect vacation rental to create unforgettable travel experiences together.
As for engineering, we solve problems of scale and work on cutting edge and open-source technologies. Our culture is one that strives on solving difficult problems focusing on product engineering based on hypothesis testing to empower people to come up with ideas.
What you’ll do:
- Work on our most highly trafficked web pages and have a direct impact on the business
- Provide hands on technical leadership and participate in architectural decision-making
- Drive new features from inception to production, working across the company with product managers, UX designers and other stakeholders
- Deliver tested and optimized high performance code
- Create and maintain quality software using premier tools: Github, Splunk, DataDog, WebDriver.io, Sauce Labs, New Relic
- Participate in resolution of production issues and lead efforts toward solutions
- Grow a performant production environment in a way that makes the system increasingly reliable
- Participate in our innersource culture (Internal Open Source) by delivering high quality code that levels up not only your team but the entire organization
- Showcase your work on our tech blog and internal & external conferences
- Conduct peer code reviews and act as a resource for junior developers
Challenges you can work on:
- Build reusable component-based web UI architectures with React.js
- Develop fast, scalable, highly available, and reliable web apps
- Develop features relying on event-driven data, microservices, and data science programming models
- Utilize operational, user and business metrics to ensure continued operations and A/B test features to improve the user experience
- Develop beautiful & intuitive user interfaces
- Contribute in the architectural design of our front-end platforms/products
Technologies we use:
Node.js, React.js, GraphQL, Webpack, Jest, Jasmine/Mocha, HTML5, CSS3, Less, Hapi.js, Kafka, Cassandra, AWS, Docker, Splunk, Datadog,
Who you are:
- BS or MS in Computer Science or equivalent work experience
- 8+ years of experience developing highly available enterprise web applications with state of the art front end web technologies
- Experience in the ecommerce space is a big plus
- Excellent communication skills with ability to work well cross-functionally across multiple departments
- An analytical problem solver that is passionate about delivering a high quality user experience
- Mobile first responsive design experience
- Cross-browser development & compatibility experience
- Native app development experience a plus
Benefits & Perks:
- Competitive health and insurance benefits.
- Competitive salary.
- Annual target bonus or commission.
- Parental leave for up to 20 weeks (dependent on eligibility).
- Paid vacation and sick time.
- Employee Stock Purchase Program.
- Free snacks and beverages.
- Frequent company update talks with our leadership team.
- Free listing on vrbo.com.
- Electronic, adjustable stand-up desk.
- Discounted Metro & Rail pass.
- Casual dress.
Why join us:
Expedia Group recognizes our success is dependent on the success of our people. We are the world's travel platform, made up of the most knowledgeable, passionate, and creative people in our business. Our brands recognize the power of travel to break down barriers and make people's lives better – that responsibility inspires us to be the place where exceptional people want to do their best work, and to provide them to tools to do so.
Whether you're applying to work in engineering or customer support, marketing or lodging supply, at Expedia Group we act as one team, working towards a common goal; to bring the world within reach. We relentlessly strive for better, but not at the cost of the customer. We act with humility and optimism, respecting ideas big and small. We value diversity and voices of all volumes. We are a global organization but keep our feet on the ground so we can act fast and stay simple. Our teams also have the chance to give back on a local level and make a difference through our corporate social responsibility program, Expedia Cares.
Our family of travel brands includes: Brand Expedia®, Hotels.com®, Expedia® Partner Solutions, Egencia®, trivago®, HomeAway®, Orbitz®, Travelocity®, Wotif®, lastminute.com.au®, ebookers®, CheapTickets®, Hotwire®, Classic Vacations®, Expedia® Media Solutions, CarRentals.com™, Expedia Local Expert®, Expedia® CruiseShipCenters®, SilverRail Technologies, Inc., ALICE and Traveldoo®.
Vrbo, a world leader in the vacation rental industry, is the place to book beach houses, cabins, and condos with more than two million places to stay in 190 countries. The site makes it easy to find and book the perfect vacation rental for any getaway, often for less than the cost of traditional hotel accommodations.
Expedia is committed to creating an inclusive work environment with a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. This employer participates in E-Verify. The employer will provide the Social Security Administration (SSA) and, if necessary, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) with information from each new employee's I-9 to confirm work authorization.