Senior Software Engineer Manager at Expedia Group
Expedia Group has a mission to become the world’s travel platform. As part of that effort, we are building the most widely accepted Lodging Platform for the hotel and vacation rental industries. We want travelers visiting our sites to be able to find the type of lodging that best fits their travel needs whether a house, bungalow, castle, condo or hotel room. We build extraordinary products at a fast-paced speed, but we are always looking for ways to be better and faster. In this role, you will be part of the leadership team overseeing our most critical systems powering our traveler and business. You will work closely with your peers to build world class machine- learning systems at scale that present relevant and personalized experiences in real-time. We are looking for an adaptable, high performing, motivated, and self-reliant Software Engineer Manager with past experience leading teams through highly scalable systems with a scientific mindset.
There are many stakeholders for these core systems and excellent communication skills are key to be successful in this role. Further, this role will allow you to collaborate with Vrbo’s strategic technical leaders and executing teams to ensure effective and operationally sound goals, clearly identifying what needs to be delivered to achieve those goals in parallel with the day to day needs of the business. We tackle problems of scale and work on groundbreaking and open-source technologies. Our culture is one that strives to solve hard problems focusing on product engineering based on hypothesis testing to empower people to come up with ideas.What You'll Do:
- Build a rock solid team
- Lead and mentor a team of highly ambitious and world class engineers.
- Deliver reliable, highly available, and highly scalable systems in a Lean, agile, and domain driven engineering environment.
- Partner closely with other tech leads, data science, and product managers to design and implement ground breaking solutions.
- Help accelerate software engineering practices by encouraging and facilitating inner-sourcing of key components within the architecture.
- You are the ambassador for technology best practices, frameworks and assisting in educating and motivating our engineering community
- Help teams break through challenges by managing upwards to be sure innovation and speed to market are not impeded
Technologies We Use:
Java, Python, Elasticsearch, Redis, Kafka, GraphQL, Kotlin, React, S3, AWS, Lambda, Docker, Dropwizard, Scala, Data DogWho You Are:
- Bachelor's degree in computer science or related field
- 8+ years in software development
- Deep understanding of Web, API, Cloud, and Machine Learning architectures
- Conversant in common Internet technologies and protocols (HTTP, SSL, OAuth, REST, JSON, XML, GraphQL, Protobuf, etc)
- Validated track-record of building fast, reliable, large, multi-threaded, scalable, services
- Experience in profiling high traffic web applications and services.
- Competitive health and insurance benefits
- Competitive salary
- Annual target bonus or commission
- Parental leave for up to 20 weeks (dependent on eligibility)
- Paid vacation and sick time
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Free snacks and beverages
- Frequent company update talks with our leadership team
- Free listing on Vrbo.com
- Electronic, adjustable stand-up desk
- Discounted Metro & Rail pass
- Casual dress
Expedia Group recognizes our success is dependent on the success of our people. We are the world's travel platform, made up of the most knowledgeable, passionate, and creative people in our business. Our brands recognize the power of travel to break down barriers and make people's lives better – that responsibility inspires us to be the place where exceptional people want to do their best work, and to provide them the tools to do so.
Whether you're applying to work in engineering or customer support, marketing or lodging supply, at Expedia Group we act as one team, working towards a common goal; to bring the world within reach. We relentlessly strive for better, but not at the cost of the customer. We act with humility and optimism, respecting ideas big and small. We value diversity and voices of all volumes. We are a global organization but keep our feet on the ground so we can act fast and stay simple. Our teams also have the chance to give back on a local level and make a difference through our corporate social responsibility program, Expedia Cares. If you have a hunger to make a difference with one of the most loved consumer brands in the world and to work in the dynamic travel industry, this is the job for you.
Our family of travel brands includes: Brand Expedia®, Hotels.com®, Expedia® Partner Solutions, Egencia®, trivago®, HomeAway®, Orbitz®, Travelocity®, Wotif®, lastminute.com.au®, ebookers®, CheapTickets®, Hotwire®, Classic Vacations®, Expedia® Media Solutions, CarRentals.com™, Expedia Local Expert®, Expedia® CruiseShipCenters®, SilverRail Technologies, Inc., ALICE and Traveldoo®.About Vrbo:
In 1995, Vrbo introduced a new way for people to travel together, pairing homeowners with families and friends looking for places to stay. We were grounded in one purpose: To give people the space they need to drop the distractions of everyday life and simply be together. Since then, we've grown into a global community of homeowners and travelers, with unique properties in 190 countries around the world. Vrbo makes it easy and fun to book cabins, condos, beach houses and every kind of space in between.
Vrbo is part of VRBO and the Expedia Group family of brands and offers homeowners and property managers exposure to over 750 million visits to Expedia Group sites each month. To learn more, visit www.vrbo.com.Expedia is committed to creating an inclusive work environment with a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. This employer participates in E-Verify. The employer will provide the Social Security Administration (SSA) and, if necessary, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) with information from each new employee's I-9 to confirm work authorization.