Our Mission: To connect all people in need and the programs that serve them (with dignity and ease).
Aunt Bertha picks up where Uncle Sam leaves off by making it easy to find and apply for government and charitable social service programs. By organizing the world's human service program information, we make it easy for people in need and the people who help them to find help in seconds on www.auntbertha.com.
We are looking for people who are driven to make the world a drastically better place and want to join our small group of thoughtful, committed citizens because they believe, as Margaret Mead said, "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has."
Please note: If our mission doesn't strike a chord with you that is OK. But please consider not applying. We are seeking people who come on fire after learning about what we do.
Who We're Looking For: You are a senior developer with varied experience across multiple languages and frameworks, and you have some technical leadership experience. You also have informed opinions about topics ranging from coding patterns to career development, and are passionate about making the people around you better.
- Partner with a Product Manager as the technical owner of a product area, working on a cross-functional development team
- Hold weekly 1:1 mentoring meetings with the developers your team
- Maintain, extend and improve our existing Python / React codebase as a hands-on contributor and code reviewer
- Drive our platform forward by improving architecture, advocating for tools and processes to adopt, validating potential new technologies, etc.
- Work with the Director of Engineering and other technical leaders to guide the team in the best practices of iterative software development and delivery
- Current Python development experience (or related skills with the ability to ramp up quickly). A key aspect of this role is the ability to give technical guidance to other developers at the code level.
- Hands-on experience building at least one production web application
- Experience working across the web stack. While you may have areas of specialty, you should feel comfortable discussing anything from the browser to the database.
- Experience mentoring developers in a professional setting
- 5+ years of professional software development experience
- Excellent communication skills
Bonus Points: Not required, but any of these would be icing on the cake:
- Formal team leadership experience
- Have used a modern JS framework in a real project (we use React)
- Experience designing for performance (caching, message queues, query tuning)
Apply Now! We are selecting from a broad field of candidates. If you are interested in learning more and think you have what it takes to win, please respond to this job posting with all of the following:
- Your résumé
- A short cover letter in which you tell us who you are, what you want to achieve in life and how this job will help you get there, and why Aunt Bertha should strongly consider a deeper conversation with you.
- Your GitHub/GitLab repo, StackOverflow profile and/or links to any projects or other resources that provide the full picture of your experience and skill set, if available. A sample of prior work that demonstrates code you've written before would be ideal.
A cover letter is required! We get a lot of applicants, and only those who are truly engaged with our company mission will likely move forward.
Physical Demands & Work Environment: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Some travel may be required.
While our office is open on a restricted basis for people who need it, the majority of us are working remotely for now.
We are building a company whose employees understand our users, through their own lived experiences. This means we strive to hire employees that are diverse by race, gender, gender identity, gender expression, age, religion, sexual orientation, physical abilities, and socio-economic upbringing.