Software Engineer Recent Graduate (June 2019 start)
HomeAway, a world leader in the vacation rental industry, is the place to book beach houses, cabins, and condos with more than two million places to stay in 190 countries. The site makes it easy to find and book the perfect vacation rental for any getaway, often for less than the cost of traditional hotel accommodations. HomeAway is part of the Expedia Group family of brands.
When it comes to engineering, we solve problems of scale and work on cutting edge and open-source technologies. As a high-growth, e-commerce company, we are searching for talented and passionate software engineers. Our culture is one that strives on solving difficult problems focusing on product engineering based on hypothesis testing to empower people to come up with ideas. We address a wide array of computer science problems including advanced web applications, cutting edge user interfaces, scalability and performance of applications, intelligent search algorithms, global data distribution and monitoring of distributed systems. You will work alongside a highly experienced team of engineers from various academic and industry backgrounds.
What you’ll do:
- Challenges you can work on:
- Scale our services to more than 60k requests per second
- Develop fast, scalable, highly available, and reliable payment engines that will process billions of dollars per year
- Use real-time data to understand customers’ needs before they do
- Dockerize our apps and services for cloud deployment
- Develop features that will drive our business through real-time feedback loops
- Develop a smart service layer that will allow for in-session personalization based off user behavior and data
- Scale our public API to allow other partners to leverage HomeAway services & experiences on third party sites
- Simplify core booking and listing workflow to enhance our travelers & suppliers experience
- Technologies we use:
- AWS, Docker, Mesos Dropwizard, Elasticsearch, Cassandra, Swagger, Kafka, Node.JS, React.JS, Hadoop, NoSQL, Jersey, Jetty, KStreams, Mesos, Samza, Java 8 and Linux.
- Full stack development building applications from concept to completion
- Commit to ruthlessly rewriting, refactoring, and perfecting code
- Dedicated to delivering tested and optimized high performance code for a distributed SOA environment (our stack satisfies 10s of thousands of requests per second!)
- Develop quality scalable, tested and reliable applications using industry best practices
- Work in an agile environment with QA, product management and operations
- Create and maintain quality software using best-in-class tools: Git, Splunk, New Relic, Sonar and TeamCity
- Participate in resolution of production issues and lead efforts toward solutions
- Opportunities to showcase your work on our tech blog and internal & external conferences
Who you are:
- Bachelor's Degree or higher, preferably in Computer Science, or equivalent experience.
- 1-3 years overall development experience, with direct experience delivering a consumer-facing web application.
- Results oriented, self-managed individual - proven track record of delivering on your estimates with minimal oversight.
- Leads by example in all aspects of software development - simple, elegant, scalable, well tested, documented.
- Strong software development skills (configuration management, issue tracking, estimation, Agile/Scrum).
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Experience with large distributed applications is a plus as is building/operating highly available systems.
- Competitive health and insurance benefits
- Competitive salary
- Annual target bonus or commission
- Paid vacation and sick time
- Vacation rental on a yearly basis (taxable benefit)
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Free snacks and beverages
- Frequent company update talks with our leadership team
- Free listing on HomeAway.com
- Discounted Rail and Bus Passes
This role is part of HomeAway University and starts either January 2019, or June 2019, depending on your graduation date. Learn more about our HomeAway University training program here: https://www.homeaway.com/careers/university
Why join us:
Expedia Group recognizes our success is dependent on the success of our people. We are the world's travel platform, made up of the most knowledgeable, passionate, and creative people in our business. Our brands recognize the power of travel to break down barriers and make people's lives better – that responsibility inspires us to be the place where exceptional people want to do their best work, and to provide them to tools to do so.
Whether you're applying to work in engineering or customer support, marketing or lodging supply, at Expedia Group we act as one team, working towards a common goal; to bring the world within reach. We relentlessly strive for better, but not at the cost of the customer. We act with humility and optimism, respecting ideas big and small. We value diversity and voices of all volumes. We are a global organization but keep our feet on the ground so we can act fast and stay simple. Our teams also have the chance to give back on a local level and make a difference through our corporate social responsibility program, Expedia Cares.
Our family of travel brands includes: Brand Expedia®, Hotels.com®, Expedia® Partner Solutions, Egencia®, trivago®, HomeAway®, Orbitz®, Travelocity®, Wotif®, lastminute.com.au®, ebookers®, CheapTickets®, Hotwire®, Classic Vacations®, Expedia® Media Solutions, CarRentals.com™, Expedia Local Expert®, Expedia® CruiseShipCenters®, SilverRail Technologies, Inc., ALICE and Traveldoo®.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.