Staff Java / Data Tools Engineer
HomeAway, based in Austin, Texas, is the world leader in vacation rentals with more than 2 million unique places to stay in 190 countries, and is a part of the Expedia, Inc. family of brands. HomeAway offers an extensive selection of vacation rental homes that provide travelers with memorable experiences and benefits, especially more room to relax, for less than the cost of traditional hotel accommodations. The company also makes it easy for vacation rental owners and property managers to advertise their properties and manage bookings online.
About our Data Tools Engineering Team:
Our goal is o accelerate Dev teams' adoption of data platforms in the cloud and help them migrate schema and data between heterogeneous database systems effortlessly. We provide REST APIs and UIs that allow teams to spin up database infrastructure in Amazon AWS, create and maintain schema on these databases; and move data among the databases (including to/from our legacy Austin datacenter) either as a bulk/batch operation or as a near-real-time streaming service. Data integrity is our currency; and our tools are usually heavily multithreaded to move data in bulk but with minimal latency. Some of our tools have stricter guarantees such as exactly once delivery, in order delivery etc. The Data Tools team is not a DBOps team; we develop these tools so that Dev Teams can self-service their data needs in a manner that is aligned with HomeAway's standards on security, data reliability and data retention policies. We have other dedicated Ops teams to maintain the data infrastructure that our tools spin up.
Challenges you can work on:
- Dockerize our apps and services for cloud deployment
- Develop tools that allow teams to spin up their micro services’ persistence layers on demand in the cloud
- Scale our persistence layers across continents, while providing the necessary reliability and monitoring metrics.
- Implement single sign-on(Okta), logging (Splunk/Datadog), unit tests and integration tests for the above applications, consistent with existing HomeAway standards.
Technologies we use: Java8, Hadoop, Elasticsearch, Cassandra, MongoDB, SQLServer, AWS, Mesos,Docker, Linux, Jetty, Samza, Dropwizard, Kafka
Required skills and experience:
- BS or MS in Computer Science or equivalent experience
- 5+years of professional Java development experience
- Experience writing k stream connections for Kafka
- Excellent interpersonal skills with ability to work well cross-functionally across multiple department
- An analytical problem solver that is passionate about delivering a high quality user experience
Specific Deliverables can include:
- Own new features from design to production release
- Ensure the persistence layers that we support/tool for, are easily adoptable by development teams; and provide the data security, scalability and reliability that is expected of production data.
- Dedicated to delivering tested and optimized high performance code for a distributed SOA environment.
- Create and maintain quality software using best-in-class tools: Git, Splunk, NewRelic, Sonar and TeamCity
- Work with QA, product management, and operations in an Agile environment
- Participate in resolution of production issues and lead efforts toward solutions
- Grow a performance production environment in a way that makes the system increasingly reliable
- Participate in our inner source culture (Internal Open Source) by delivering high quality code that levels up not only your team but the entire organization
- Opportunities to showcase your work on our tech blog and internal &external conferences
- Conduct peer code reviews and act as a resource for junior developers
Benefits & Perks:
- Competitive health and insurance benefits
- Competitive salary
- Annual target bonus or commission
- Paid vacation and sick time
- Vacation rental on a yearly basis (taxable benefit)
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Free snacks and beverages
- Frequent company update talks with our leadership team
- Free listing on HomeAway.com
- Electric, adjustable stand-up desk
- Discounted Metro & Rail pass
- Casual dress code
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.