Staff/Senior Software Engineer
Are you passionate about turning click stream data into insights for the internal and external customers?
Can you design and develop next generation real-time data pipelines and self-service analytics around event streams?
Does solving important problems at speed and scale excite you?
Would you like to work for a company that is product centric and data driven?
Do you want to be a part of team that champions test & learn and OneTeam approach across the company?
If so, this opportunity is a great fit for you.
What You'll Do:
- Develop fast, scalable, highly available, and reliable property status software that will control the enabled status for all of Expedia’s properties
- You will scale our services to tens of thousands of requests per second
- Use real-time data to understand performance and ensure system scalability
- Dockerize our apps and services for cloud deployment
- You will develop property status funnel features that will drive our business through real-time feedback loops
- Scale our public API’s to give other partners the ability to leverage new Expedia Group services
- Scale our private API’s to allow enhanced Expedia UI experiences
- Simplify our core property status workflow to enhance both our travelers’ & suppliers’ experience
Technologies We Use:
- Java 8, Python, Scala, Spark, Hadoop, Elasticsearch, Jetty, and Linux
- Backend development building applications from concept to completion
- You will commit to vigilantly rewriting, refactoring, and perfecting code
- Dedicated to delivering tested and optimized high performance code for a distributed SOA environment
- Develop quality scalable, tested and reliable applications using industry standard methodologies
- Work in an agile environment with product management and operations
- Create and maintain quality software using premier tools: Git, Splunk, Datadog, New Relic, etc.
- Participate in resolution of production issues and lead efforts toward solutions
- Opportunities to showcase your work on our tech blog and internal & external conferences
Who You Are:
- Bachelor’s in Computer Science or Engineering or related experience required.
- Experience building data pipelines with data from event streams, on distributed data systems (AWS/Hadoop)
- Batch and/or stream processing experience using Spark, K-Streams, Kafka
- Experience building low-latency data product APIs
- Professional development experience in Java/Python/Scala
Benefits & Perks:
- Competitive health and insurance benefits
- Competitive salary
- Annual target bonus or commission
- Parental leave for up to 20 weeks (dependent on eligibility)
- Paid vacation and sick time
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Free snacks and beverages
- Frequent company update talks with our leadership team
- Free listing on Vrbo.com
- Electronic, adjustable stand-up desk
- Discounted Metro & Rail pass
- Casual dress
Why Join Us:
Expedia Group recognizes our success is dependent on the success of our people. We are the world's travel platform, made up of the most knowledgeable, passionate, and creative people in our business. Our brands recognize the power of travel to break down barriers and make people's lives better – that responsibility inspires us to be the place where exceptional people want to do their best work, and to provide them to tools to do so.
Whether you're applying to work in engineering or customer support, marketing or lodging supply, at Expedia Group we act as one team, working towards a common goal; to bring the world within reach. We relentlessly strive for better, but not at the cost of the customer. We act with humility and optimism, respecting ideas big and small. We value diversity and voices of all volumes. We are a global organization but keep our feet on the ground so we can act fast and stay simple. Our teams also have the chance to give back on a local level and make a difference through our corporate social responsibility program, Expedia Cares. Our family of travel brands includes: Brand Expedia®, Hotels.com®, Expedia® Partner Solutions, Egencia®, trivago®, HomeAway®, Orbitz®, Travelocity®, Wotif®, lastminute.com.au®, ebookers®, CheapTickets®, Hotwire®, Classic Vacations®, Expedia® Media Solutions, CarRentals.com™, Expedia Local Expert®, Expedia® CruiseShipCenters®, SilverRail Technologies, Inc., ALICE and Traveldoo®
In 1995, Vrbo introduced a new way for people to travel together, pairing homeowners with families and friends looking for places to stay. We were grounded in one purpose: To give people the space they need to drop the distractions of everyday life and simply be together. Since then, we've grown into a global community of homeowners and travelers, with unique properties in 190 countries around the world. Vrbo makes it easy and fun to book cabins, condos, beach houses and every kind of space in between.
Vrbo is part of VRBO and the Expedia Group family of brands and offers homeowners and property managers exposure to over 750 million visits to Expedia Group sites each month. To learn more, visit www.vrbo.com.
Expedia is committed to creating an inclusive work environment with a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. This employer participates in E-Verify. The employer will provide the Social Security Administration (SSA) and, if necessary, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) with information from each new employee's I-9 to confirm work authorization.