Technical Services Engineer, Realm at MongoDB
*The person in this role must be willing and able to work weekends. This is a full time position with the option to work Wednesday through Sunday or Saturday through Wednesday.*
MongoDB Technical Services is seeking highly technical candidates for a role focused on the MongoDB Realm! The Technical Services team is a multifaceted and deeply technical worldwide customer-facing team situated inside the MongoDB Customer Engineering organization. We are responsible for helping our customers succeed with MongoDB products including our new Realm mobile solutions. Our engineers combine their MongoDB expertise with passion, initiative, collaboration and a great sense of humor to achieve outstanding results for our customers!
This person will work closely with highly skilled engineers and developers, encounter many different kinds of problems, recognize patterns, provide product feedback, contribute to documentation, shape processes, and help guide the evolution of the MongoDB Realm product itself. Most importantly, you will help our customers launch and run all manner of mobile applications using the newly launched MongoDB Realm on our Atlas Platform.
What this role will entail
- Help MongoDB Realm users solving sophisticated issues with their mobile solutions, e.g., resolving questions on SDKs, architecture, performance, scaling and everything in between
- Be a specialist on standard methodologies for developing and running mobile applications using MongoDB Realm at scale, whatever that scale may be
- Advocate for customers’ needs, working with the Product Engineering teams to debug and reproduce problem reports from MongoDB Realm users and escalate problems to include other team members as needed
- Recognize patterns, and optimally categorize and build links between related issues and projects
What you’ll need to succeed
- Ability and willingness to work Saturdays and Sundays (the person in this role will work either Wednesday through Sunday or Saturday through Wednesday)
- Genuine desire to help people succeed with our technology
- Ability to rapidly learn a wide variety of new technical skills
- Engage with our customers for their success with MongoDB Realm by solving their ambitious technical problems, applying advanced diagnostic and troubleshooting skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills (both written and verbal) are critical as you will be working with users from all over the world with very diverse backgrounds, as well as with a highly technical engineering team
- Ability to:
- Develop simple mobile applications using Xcode or Android Studio
- Read and understand the intent of code and stack traces in one or more languages of: Java, Kotlin, Swift, Objective-C, react-native
- Comfortably navigate through Linux systems using a shell
- Write simple reproduction scripts
- Bonus points:
- Software development background in multiple languages : Java, Kotlin, Swift, objective C, react-native
- Mobile development background with Swift, Objective-C, Java, React-native, Kotlin, Xamarin
- Experience using or running databases (like MongoDB) as a developer or DBA
In 3 Months
- Run through creation of a simple app using MongoDB Realm, including sync to multiple devices.
- You are comfortable handling tickets with identifiable diagnostic signatures
- Can identify user reported tickets that don’t describe bugs
- Have written detailed issue summaries for downstream teams
In 6 Months
- You have a good understanding of Realm server, MongoDB and Atlas
- Have solid understanding of Kubernetes, Docker, Nodejs, React-native, iOS, Android
- Can identify issue patterns and escalating when appropriate
- Can take any issue and work on it to completion, either by yourself or by including a colleague at the right time and with the appropriate skills to accelerate a solution
In 12 Months
- You are influencing the product roadmap based on issues you’ve seen
- You can answer issues from our enterprise customers based on their use case
- You have a deep understanding of Realm server and synchronization technology
We commit to creating a culture of inclusion by seeking and valuing employees from different backgrounds and circumstances. This is cultivated by learning from and respecting each other’s differences. We firmly believe that everyone deserves to feel valued and safe in the workplace, and we acknowledge that underrepresented groups may not always feel this way. We recognize that a diverse workforce is the best way to broaden our perspectives, foster innovation, and enable a sustainable competitive advantage.
*MongoDB is an equal opportunities employer*
To drive the personal growth and business impact of our employees, we’re committed to developing a supportive and enriching culture for everyone. From employee affinity groups, to fertility assistance and a generous parental leave policy, we value our employees’ wellbeing and want to support them along every step of their professional and personal journeys. Learn more about what it’s like to work at MongoDB, and help us make an impact on the world!