Revenue Accountant at Vrbo
Are you passionate about travel? Do you want to be in a high pace, high energy workplace bent on revolutionizing the industry? Are you a hands-on individual that has the ability to work independently and provide advanced accounting expertise in support of a company’s revenue drivers and initiatives?The Opportunity:
Vrbo, an Expedia Group brand is hiring for a hardworking, high energy Revenue Accountant reporting to the US Revenue Controller in its Austin, Texas headquarters. You will have direct responsibility for applying and updating revenue recognition policy guidance, the Accountant will drive monthly and quarterly close activities for revenue, own validation and reconciliation of all revenue related accounts, analyze high volumes of transactional data, run auditor requests, and will work closely with cross functional departments such as Sales, FP&A, Product Management and Legal. Drawing on previous experience with transactional revenue systems and data analysis for a high-volume business, the Accountant will play a critical role in new product and system implementations in the rapidly growing online vacation rental business.What you will do:
- Maintain and carry out the Company's revenue recognition policy
- Propose alternative structuring of deals to accommodate revenue recognition and business criteria
- Ensure the proper accounting treatment for all product and service offerings is documented
- Ensure compliance with U.S. GAAP, as well as with emerging accounting standards
- Assist with SOX process and controls to ensure compliance
- Maintain reconciliation of GAAP reporting to internal operating metrics
- Streamline systems and reporting tools to ensure efficient and accurate recording and proper classification of revenue
- Run monthly revenue accounting close efforts, including invoicing, contract analysis, procedures and preparation of monthly revenue, deferred revenue and accounts receivable reconciliations
- Reconcile and analyze all revenue and receivables related accounts including revenue, deferred revenue, accounts receivable, bad debt expense and reserve, and commission expense and accrual
- Assist in the quarterly and year-end audit process, actively working with external auditors to ensure the interpretation of revenue recognition accounting standards is consistent and aligned with GAAP
- Liaise with external auditors regarding revenue and proactively resolve all revenue-related issues
- Ensure timely customer receivables collections and handle collections issues
- Required Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s in finance or Accounting
- 5-7 years corporate and/or public accounting experience
- Prior experience with high volume transactional revenue systems and data analysis required
- Strong proficiency with Excel
- Experience with revenue recognition guidance
- Experience with revenue and deferred revenue reconciliations and journal entries
- Detail-oriented with great organizational skills, and a willingness to dive into the details
- Validated experience being dedicated to improve and document departmental processes
- Ability to interpret and research accounting guidance
- Self-motivated, deadline oriented, fast learner, who is a dedicated, hands-on teammate with excellent problem-solving skills
- Execution focused, with the ability to take individual responsibility for delivering quality work in a timely manner
- Outstanding verbal and written communication skills
- Strong process and system skills, as well as the ability to work effectively across functions to resolve problems
- Preferred Qualifications:
- Experience with Oracle and SalesForce.com a plus
- CPA or actively pursuing a CPA
- Competitive health and insurance benefits.
- Competitive salary.
- Annual target bonus or commission.
- Parental leave for up to 20 weeks (dependent on eligibility).
- Paid vacation and sick time.
- Employee Stock Purchase Program.
- Free snacks and beverages.
- Frequent company update talks with our leadership team.
- Free listing on VRBO.com.
- Electronic, adjustable stand-up desk.
- Discounted Metro & Rail pass.
- Casual dress.
Expedia Group recognizes our success is dependent on the success of our people. We are the world's travel platform, made up of the most knowledgeable, passionate, and creative people in our business. Our brands recognize the power of travel to break down barriers and make people's lives better – that responsibility inspires us to be the place where extraordinary people want to do their best work, and to provide them to tools to do so.
Whether you're applying to work in engineering or customer support, marketing or lodging supply, at Expedia Group we act as one team, working towards a common goal; to bring the world within reach. We passionately strive for better, but not at the cost of the customer. We act with humility and optimism, respecting ideas big and small. We value diversity and voices of all volumes. We are a global organization but keep our feet on the ground so we can act fast and stay simple. Our teams also have the chance to give back on a local level and make a difference through our corporate social responsibility program, Expedia Cares.
Our family of travel brands includes: Brand Expedia®, Hotels.com®, Expedia® Partner Solutions, Egencia®, trivago®, HomeAway®, Orbitz®, Travelocity®, Wotif®, lastminute.com.au®, ebookers®, CheapTickets®, Hotwire®, Classic Vacations®, Expedia® Media Solutions, CarRentals.com™, Expedia Local Expert®, Expedia® CruiseShipCenters®, SilverRail Technologies, Inc., ALICE and Traveldoo®.About Vrbo:
In 1995, Vrbo introduced a new way for people to travel together, pairing homeowners with families and friends looking for places to stay. We were grounded in one purpose: To give people the space they need to drop the distractions of everyday life and simply be together. Since then, we've grown into a global community of homeowners and travelers, with unique properties in 190 countries around the world. Vrbo makes it easy and fun to book cabins, condos, beach houses and every kind of space in between.
Vrbo is part of HomeAway and the Expedia Group family of brands and offers homeowners and property managers exposure to over 750 million visits to Expedia Group sites each month. To learn more, visit www.vrbo.com.
Expedia is committed to creating an inclusive work environment with a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. This employer participates in E-Verify. The employer will provide the Social Security Administration (SSA) and, if necessary, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) with information from each new employee's I-9 to confirm work authorization.Expedia is committed to creating an inclusive work environment with a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. This employer participates in E-Verify. The employer will provide the Social Security Administration (SSA) and, if necessary, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) with information from each new employee's I-9 to confirm work authorization.