Financial Analyst Intern
HomeAway, a world leader in the vacation rental industry, is the place to book beach houses, cabins, and condos with more than two million places to stay in 190 countries. The site makes it easy to find and book the perfect vacation rental for any getaway, often for less than the cost of traditional hotel accommodations. HomeAway is part of the Expedia Group family of brands.
HomeAway is seeking an Intern to be a part of our growing Finance team in Austin. Our Finance team consists of three groups: Commercial Finance, Marketing Finance, and Central Finance. Our teams work collectively to support the daily execution of our business globally as well as helping to ensure the long-term success of HomeAway. We do this through financial planning, business metrics reporting, data analytics, and ad hoc analysis. We partner together in the identification and management of financial risks/opportunities, creation of financial targets, and the development of analysis to support financial trade-offs across regions and lines of business for optimal return. We are a close-knit team that loves to work together and have fun in the process. You will be exposed to all three teams and the many functions we perform within HomeAway Finance.
What you’ll do:
Your internship will be a project-based role. You will work on a project that can be completed within the timeframe of the internship and be asked to provide a readout on their work to the Finance Leadership Team. These projects will be items that have value to our business and one or more of our three teams (Central Finance, Commercial Finance, and Marketing Finance).
- Central Finance:
- In Central Finance, we focus on the big picture. In addition to consolidating financial results at HomeAway, we spend time looking ahead to the future and where we are headed as a company. You might perform a competitive analysis between HomeAway and other key players in our industry.You would determine what the key metrics for evaluation are, collect the data for those comparisons, develop conclusions based on the data, and make recommendations on operational or strategic changes we might want to consider.
- Commercial Finance:
- In Commercial Finance, we focus on the trading of the business and ensuring market-specific tactics and strategies make solid financial sense. We analyze daily & weekly trends to better predict the current month, quarter & fiscal year. You might perform a benchmarking analysis across the regions or markets, synthesizing the results into a crisp set of insights and recommended changes for our regional leaders to consider.You might also help us rebuild our forecasting methodologies to better account for a destination focus, one of our seasonal flywheels, or a point of sale lens.
- Marketing Finance:
- In Marketing Finance, we are the prime business partners with HomeAway’s Marketing organization focusing on the top-line and bottom-line trading and forecasting. In addition, we evaluate ROI on current and future spend profiles and opportunities ensuring adherence to company, market, and channel targets. You might query current trading information from our data warehouses and organize into digestible management reporting, providing recommendations for channel management. Also, you might work on standardizing our forecasting models and Hyperion loading templates.
- Technologies we use: Excel (including VB macro writing at times), PowerPoint, Hyperion, Tableau
Who you are:
- Our Ideal Intern:
- Currently pursuing an undergraduate degree in Finance, Analytics, Statistics, or Economics
- Experience with financial modeling, project management principles, Agile frameworks, dataset analysis
- The ability to thrive in an environment where priorities are constantly changing
- Strong critical thinking skills with an innate sense of curiosity, that is complemented by a strong aptitude for learning and quickly
- Mature interpersonal skills. You portray a strong but not overconfident presence and are very articulate both verbally and written.
- Experience at summarizing and then synthesizing large amounts of data
- Strong organizational and prioritization skills with attention to detail
Benefits & Perks:
- Competitive compensation
- Frequent company update talks with our leadership team
- Discounted rail and bus passes
- Free drinks and snacks
- Electronic, adjustable stand up desk
- Casual dress code
This role is part of HomeAway University which starts June 3rd, 2019 and lasts for 11 weeks. Learn more about our HomeAway University training program here: https://www.homeaway.com/careers/university
Why join us:
Expedia Group recognizes our success is dependent on the success of our people. We are the world's travel platform, made up of the most knowledgeable, passionate, and creative people in our business. Our brands recognize the power of travel to break down barriers and make people's lives better – that responsibility inspires us to be the place where exceptional people want to do their best work, and to provide them to tools to do so.
Whether you're applying to work in engineering or customer support, marketing or lodging supply, at Expedia Group we act as one team, working towards a common goal; to bring the world within reach. We relentlessly strive for better, but not at the cost of the customer. We act with humility and optimism, respecting ideas big and small. We value diversity and voices of all volumes. We are a global organization but keep our feet on the ground so we can act fast and stay simple. Our teams also have the chance to give back on a local level and make a difference through our corporate social responsibility program, Expedia Cares.
Our family of travel brands includes: Brand Expedia®, Hotels.com®, Expedia® Partner Solutions, Egencia®, trivago®, HomeAway®, Orbitz®, Travelocity®, Wotif®, lastminute.com.au®, ebookers®, CheapTickets®, Hotwire®, Classic Vacations®, Expedia® Media Solutions, CarRentals.com™, Expedia Local Expert®, Expedia® CruiseShipCenters®, SilverRail Technologies, Inc., ALICE and Traveldoo®.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.