At Cloudflare, we have our eyes set on an ambitious goal: to help build a better Internet. Today the company runs one of the world’s largest networks that powers trillions of requests per month. Cloudflare protects and accelerates any Internet application online without adding hardware, installing software, or changing a line of code. Internet properties powered by Cloudflare have all web traffic routed through its intelligent global network, which gets smarter with every request. As a result, they see significant improvement in performance and a decrease in spam and other attacks. Cloudflare was recognized by the World Economic Forum as a Technology Pioneer and named to Entrepreneur Magazine’s Top Company Cultures list.
We realize people do not fit into neat boxes. We are looking for curious and empathetic individuals who are committed to developing themselves and learning new skills, and we are ready to help you do that. We cannot complete our mission without building a diverse and inclusive team. We hire the best people based on an evaluation of their potential and support them throughout their time at Cloudflare. Come join us!
What you'll do
The ideal candidate is experienced in commercial transactions and is someone who thrives when working on a variety of subject matters.
In this role, you will work closely with our sales, marketing, infrastructure, and partnerships teams to review contracts and provide effective, business-focused, day-to-day advice on a broad range of issues, including local law compliance, IP, third-party complaints, and various inquiries. You will collaborate with internal business stakeholders to draft, review and revise commercial contracting templates and contract related policies.
You will mentor and supervise junior attorneys and non-legal staff as Cloudflare’s Commercial Legal team continues to grow and expand.
You are intellectually curious, open-minded, adaptable, comfortable with ambiguity and risk, and excited by dynamic change.
This role is for someone who is a proactive self-starter and has a thirst for knowledge and continued growth, all while working as part of a great team.
Examples of desirable skills, knowledge and experience
- 4-6 years of experience working in the technology/IP transactions practice of a nationally recognized law firm and/or in-house at an innovative technology company
- Substantive experience in drafting and negotiating complex commercial agreements, including SaaS, licensing, consulting, joint development and reseller/distributor agreements
- Experience supervising and managing teams of junior attorneys and/or non-legal staff
- Ability to identify and explain non-standard terms and associated risks to relevant business stakeholders and interpret contract requirements, obligations and risk exposure and advise on same
- Solid understanding of state, federal and international privacy and data protection laws, including CCPA, HIPAA, GLBA, and GDPR
- Ability to manage competing demands and deal with non-standard and often unstructured requests, at short notice
- Ability to work in an international team, with attorneys and non-attorneys, to establish effective solutions efficiently and in an amenable manner
- Strategic thinker with a verifiable history of providing sound and practical advice
- Ability to translate complex technical concepts into easy to grasp terms for non-techies
- Ability to partner with internal stakeholders to deliver continuous improvement of Cloudflare’s standard form agreements and legal processes, with an emphasis on efficiency and scalability
- Software engineering or computer science background
- Fluency in German or Chinese
What Makes Cloudflare Special?
We’re not just a highly ambitious, large-scale technology company. We’re a highly ambitious, large-scale technology company with a soul. Fundamental to our mission to help build a better Internet is protecting the free and open Internet.
Project Galileo: We equip politically and artistically important organizations and journalists with powerful tools to defend themselves against attacks that would otherwise censor their work, technology already used by Cloudflare’s enterprise customers--at no cost.
Project Athenian: We created Athenian Project to ensure that state and local governments have the highest level of protection and reliability for free, so that their constituents have access to election information and voter registration.
Path Forward Partnership: Since 2016, we have partnered with Path Forward, a nonprofit organization, to create 16-week positions for mid-career professionals who want to get back to the workplace after taking time off to care for a child, parent, or loved one.
Sound like something you’d like to be a part of? We’d love to hear from you!
Cloudflare is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all people and place great value in both diversity and inclusiveness. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to their, or any other person's, perceived or actual race, color, religion, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, physical or mental disability, medical condition, family care status, or any other basis protected by law. We are an AA/Veterans/Disabled Employer.
Cloudflare provides reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job. Examples of reasonable accommodations include, but are not limited to, changing the application process, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment. If you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job, please contact us via e-mail at [email protected] or via mail at 101 Townsend St. San Francisco, CA 94107.