At Cloudflare, we have our eyes set on an ambitious goal: to help build a better Internet. Today the company runs one of the world’s largest networks that powers approximately 25 million Internet properties, for customers ranging from individual bloggers to SMBs to Fortune 500 companies. Cloudflare protects and accelerates any Internet application online without adding hardware, installing software, or changing a line of code. Internet properties powered by Cloudflare all have web traffic routed through its intelligent global network, which gets smarter with every request. As a result, they see significant improvement in performance and a decrease in spam and other attacks. Cloudflare was named to Entrepreneur Magazine’s Top Company Cultures list and ranked among the World’s Most Innovative Companies by Fast Company.
We realize people do not fit into neat boxes. We are looking for curious and empathetic individuals who are committed to developing themselves and learning new skills, and we are ready to help you do that. We cannot complete our mission without building a diverse and inclusive team. We hire the best people based on an evaluation of their potential and support them throughout their time at Cloudflare. Come join us!
What you'll do
In this role, you will work closely with global teams across Cloudflare to support worldwide operations and provide strategic, business-focused advice on a broad range of vendor-related contract issues. You will be responsible for drafting, reviewing, and negotiating a wide variety of complex contracts including colocation services, internet infrastructure, inbound SaaS and software licenses, logistics, sourcing, office lease, marketing, and media agreements. Your daily responsibilities will range from drafting and negotiating commercial terms to developing policies, processes, tools, templates, and trainings to streamline and improve commercial legal service delivery to various business units. As part of Cloudflare’s evolving and growing commercial legal team, you will represent the commercial legal team at various staff meetings related to new sourcing projects, ongoing vendor management, or long-term strategic planning sessions. In this role, you will handle a high-volume of projects, work with cross-functional teams, and be a key contributor in a dynamic environment.
Who you are:
The ideal candidate for this role is:
- An unapologetic contract nerd with great attention to detail
- Open-minded, fearless, approachable, collaborative, and adaptable
- A calculated risk-taker who is comfortable with ambiguity and competing demands
- A creative problem-solver and team player who has a thirst for learning and a desire for continued growth.
Desirable skills, knowledge, and experience
- 5-7 years of legal experience, with at least 2 years working as in-house commercial counsel preferred
- Highly skilled in contract drafting and negotiation, with an advanced understanding of standard commercial contract terms and IP licensing
- Substantive experience as the lead drafter and negotiator of complex, global agreements
- Strong technology contracting experience
- Excellent interpersonal skills for facilitating collaboration by cultivating relationships and communicating with legal and cross-functional partners
- Strong communication and analytical skills with the ability to assess and articulate complex and nuanced legal issues clearly and concisely
- Experience drafting and negotiating data security and data privacy contract exhibits, with a solid understanding of state, federal, and international data privacy and data protection laws and information security requirements (e.g., SOC 2, ISO 27000, PCI-DSS, FedRAMP).
- Ability to consider and articulate legal risk against the financial and operational risks presented in a particular engagement
- Experience negotiating against Fortune 500 companies and top tier law firms
- Admitted to practice law in the US
- Excellent time-management and organizational skills
- Experience with colocation and/or wholesale internet infrastructure agreements
- Experience with inbound contracting and vendor management for medium or large organizations
- Ability to start work at Cloudflare within 2-4 weeks of your hire is preferred
What Makes Cloudflare Special?
We’re not just a highly ambitious, large-scale technology company. We’re a highly ambitious, large-scale technology company with a soul. Fundamental to our mission to help build a better Internet is protecting the free and open Internet.
Project Galileo: We equip politically and artistically important organizations and journalists with powerful tools to defend themselves against attacks that would otherwise censor their work, technology already used by Cloudflare’s enterprise customers--at no cost.
Athenian Project: We created Athenian Project to ensure that state and local governments have the highest level of protection and reliability for free, so that their constituents have access to election information and voter registration.
Path Forward Partnership: Since 2016, we have partnered with Path Forward, a nonprofit organization, to create 16-week positions for mid-career professionals who want to get back to the workplace after taking time off to care for a child, parent, or loved one.
18.104.22.168: We released 22.214.171.124 to help fix the foundation of the Internet by building a faster, more secure and privacy-centric public DNS resolver. This is available publicly for everyone to use - it is the first consumer-focused service Cloudflare has ever released. Here’s the deal - we don’t store client IP addresses never, ever. We will continue to abide by our privacy commitment and ensure that no user data is sold to advertisers or used to target consumers.
Sound like something you’d like to be a part of? We’d love to hear from you!
This position may require access to information protected under U.S. export control laws, including the U.S. Export Administration Regulations. Please note that any offer of employment may be conditioned on your authorization to receive software or technology controlled under these U.S. export laws without sponsorship for an export license.
Cloudflare is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all people and place great value in both diversity and inclusiveness. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to their, or any other person's, perceived or actual race, color, religion, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, physical or mental disability, medical condition, family care status, or any other basis protected by law. We are an AA/Veterans/Disabled Employer.
Cloudflare provides reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job. Examples of reasonable accommodations include, but are not limited to, changing the application process, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment. If you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job, please contact us via e-mail at [email protected] or via mail at 101 Townsend St. San Francisco, CA 94107.