Global Corporate Counsel (Part Time Opportunity- Can be based in UK or Austin, TX) at Brightpearl
We’re an award-winning tech business. Brightpearl is the retail operations platform for cool brands and retailers. We help over 1,400 omnichannel businesses selling finished goods, trading $2.5m-$50m a year in 53 countries to streamline their back office operations. We delight our customers by getting them up and running with Brightpearl in less than 60 days - that’s twice as fast as our competitors, and empowering them to make smart decisions to grow efficiently.
About the Role:
We’re looking for an accomplished and confident Global Corporate Counsel to join our Business Operations team based within either the UK (Bristol or London) or Austin, Texas.
This role is our first in-house hire on the legal team, for our growing, enterprise SaaS Company. It’s a unique opportunity to work across the entire business, with a particular focus on business-oriented legal guidance. Your responsibilities will include ownership of all “legal” aspects of Brightpearl's Company Secretarial obligations, commercial contracts, non-standard contract negotiations with Customers, Alliances and Vendors, instituting compliance policies, managing risk whilst maintaining the entrepreneurial culture of the company, oversight of legal operations, plus a variety of fundraising, intellectual property, privacy and employment matters. You will be the go-to person for all aspects of Brightpearl’s legal affairs. This role reports to our Chief of Staff.
Our ideal candidate will have knowledge and demonstrable experience of SaaS contracts, with a proven track record as an effective terms negotiator. Proven experience in UK and EU law and working knowledge of US law (specifically New York and Texas law) will be a distinct advantage.
This progressive role presents the opportunity to establish yourself as a trusted business partner and thought leader in the company, achieving the best possible outcomes for Brightpearl.
Your Day-to-Day will include:
- Partner with our Go To Market teams with the preparation, drafting and negotiation of non-standard terms for strategic customer contracts, support the closure of deals in the most efficient manner whilst managing risk, and educate Brightpearl’s representatives to effectively sell our standard legal terms and conditions:
- Provide legal and practical advice in the drafting, negotiation and execution of all types of agreements and contracts on behalf of the company, with Customers, Alliances and Vendors;
- Collaborate with stakeholders and subject matter experts to ensure that legal agreements and policies are aligned with business objectives;
- Assist in the implementation and enforcement of contracting policies, directives and strategic initiatives, supporting litigation and dispute resolution as required;
- Manage the “legal” aspects of Company Secretarial duties;
- Deliver professional and practical advice and administrative support throughout Funding rounds and associated due diligence processes;
- Anticipate and flag legal risks and issues, resolve sensitive legal projects effectively, and handle difficult situations diplomatically and independently;
- Keep stakeholders updated on status, legal risks, and the legal liabilities associated with relevant legal matters;
- Provide cross-functional legal and compliance assistance to other departments, on a variety of legal issues, and where appropriate, liaising with outside counsel;
- Institute company-wide compliance processes for all areas of the business, including data privacy, security, employment practices, vendor relationships, and Intellectual Property management;
- Design, implement, and oversee processes for scalable legal operations;
- Address other ad-hoc or specialised legal issues in conjunction with Brightpearl leadership, peers and/or outside counsel.
To be successful as our Global Corporate Counsel you will have:
- Relevant experience: At least 6 years of experience in UK practice, a US law firm or corporate law department, with working experience in commercial contracts, data privacy and data protection;
- Qualified to practice in the UK and also ideally New York State Bar Certified;
- Experience in SaaS business preferred;
- Strong ethics and integrity is a must;
- Preference to work as a self-starter who works comfortably in a fast paced and deadline-oriented environment, and manages priorities objectively;
- Executes with high standards of accuracy and attention to detail;
- Strong interpersonal skills: can interact professionally with our internal Brightpearl teams, as well as with Brightpearl’s Customers, Alliances and Vendors;
- Effective communication skills, with a proven ability to work constructively with counterparties to find mutually agreeable solutions in negotiations;
- Ability to break down complex legal problems into business and legal risks, and explain legal issues and consequences clearly, to business partners and stakeholders, and assist decision making and action;
- Willingness to roll up your sleeves and take on tasks, both big and small. This is the first in-house legal role for Brightpearl, afterall.
- Confidence and pragmatic with a strong sense of ownership, keen to make a positive, cross-functional impact, and achieve the best possible outcomes for Brightpearl.
Brightpearl Perks - check out our UK and US specifics here
- You’ll be joining an award winning SaaS Company
- We offer a competitive salary, stock options and a pension scheme
- Generous annual leave, plus long service awards and volunteering days to give back to the community
- We promote health and well-being through comprehensive medical insurance packages and subsidised gym memberships
- We support work-life balance through flexible working opportunities
- Opportunity to collaborate and share success through company wide socials and All Hands and lots of effective and inclusive feedback channels