Legal Counsel at BigCommerce
BigCommerce is disrupting the e-commerce industry as the SaaS leader for fast- growing, mid-market businesses. We enable our customers to build intuitive and engaging stores to support every stage of their growth.
BigCommerce, named a "Best Place to Work" in Austin in 2019, is looking for a Legal Counsel to join our growing, top-notch legal team in our Austin Four Points (headquarters) office. As a key member of the team, you will help support the company’s growth and profitability by providing legal counsel on various commercial and strategic transactions, while simultaneously balancing the company’s legal & compliance obligations in a high-growth environment. This role will interact with senior leadership and report to the Assistant General Counsel.What You’ll Do
- Serve as a trusted advisor to various company departments (including sales, strategic business development, marketing and customer success services) by providing counsel on commercial transactions, as well as a wide range of legal and corporate matters.
- Draft, review, and negotiate a broad range of commercial agreements , including inbound and outbound SaaS and related agreements, partnerships, support services, sponsorships, and nondisclosure agreements.
- Research and provide guidance on corporate and strategic matters.
- Advise on legal issues and risks raised by our product offering and business strategies.
- Develop and maintain a thorough understanding of and familiarity with the company’s business operations, product, market, customers and competitors.
- Drive compliance in day-to-day activities, including providing training and counseling on compliance matters.
- Establish rapport and working relationships at all levels to encourage and continue the proactive use of in-house legal counsel.
- J.D. degree and membership in good standing in at least one state bar.
- At least 2-4 years’ experience with a top regional or national law firm or experience working in a fast-paced, in-house legal environment (commercial and strategic transactional experience is a plus).
- Familiarity with data privacy and security considerations, particularly GDPR and CCPA, preferred but not required.
- Knowledgeable and experienced in commercial and contract law.
- Experience representing SaaS and/or software providers in commercial contract negotiations preferred.
- Honest, with excellent legal judgment, business acumen, and ability to apply legal principles practically in a business environment.
- Calm under fire and a hard worker - able to work independently and prioritize multiple, sometimes competing deliverables while managing expectations and meeting deadlines.
- Exceptional communicator - with strong interpersonal skills and an ability to explain legal concepts and respond to co-workers in a courteous and timely manner.
Diversity & Inclusion at BigCommerce
We have the opportunity to build not only a great business, but a great company, with soul. Our beliefs and commitment to diversity and inclusion are a central part of achieving that.
Our dedication to diversity and inclusion is grounded in two things: a moral belief in the dignity, value, and potential of every individual, and a practical belief that diverse, inclusive teams will create the best outcomes for our customers, partners, employees, and company. We welcome everyone to be a part of our journey.
Current BigCommerce Employees: Please use the internal job board to apply for openings.