Senior Employment Counsel at Elastic
Elastic is a search and data analytics company that powers enterprise search, observability, and security solutions built on one technology stack that can be deployed anywhere. From finding documents to monitoring infrastructure to hunting for threats, Elastic makes data usable in real time and at scale. Thousands of organizations worldwide, including Barclays, Cisco, eBay, Fairfax, ING, Goldman Sachs, Microsoft, The Mayo Clinic, NASA, The New York Times, Wikipedia, and Verizon, use Elastic to power mission-critical systems. Founded in 2012, Elastic is a distributed company that is scaling fast, with nearly 2,000 employees in over 35 countries, and $427mm in revenue in our most recent FY, on the back of %53 year over year growth. Learn more at elastic.co.
Elastic is looking for an experienced, versatile employment law attorney to join our Legal team of 20 professionals, and build our internal employment law team from the ground up. The successful candidate will report directly to the General Counsel, and work closely with our HR team, other members of the Legal team and other business partners. This position can be remote, or associated with our Mountain View, CA offices.What you’ll do:
- This position reports directly to Elastic’s SVP and General Counsel, and you will work closely with the Chief of Ethics and Global Compliance, and other members of our talented and dedicated Legal team, to drive excellence and consistency in all areas of employment law globally, promote and ensure our culture, values of diversity and inclusion, as well as compliance with employment laws and privacy laws related to employees, while proactively managing and reducing potential employment-related risks
- Provide advice and strategic support to the Elastic HR Team and business leaders across the company on a range of employment law issues including those relating to recruiting, hiring, performance management, mergers and acquisitions, re-organizations, compensation and benefits, accommodations, leaves of absence, diversity programs, employee classification and contingent workforces, and other employment-related matters.
- Draft and negotiate employment-related agreements, guidelines, contracts, benefits plans, and policies
- Partner with our HR Team and managers across Elastic to build efficient processes to maintain compliance with employment laws and regulations
- Coordinate and drive completion of employment related projects, including internal process reviews, new policy roll-outs and implementation, and training programs
- Manage employment-related disputes, investigations and litigation globally
- Provide pragmatic day-to-day employment advice and counseling to members of the HR Team in order to unblock business needs and appropriately balance achievement of business objectives against legal risk
- Monitor important developments in employment law in jurisdictions across the country, striving to spot trends in their infancy
- Work closely with and manage outside counsel globally in connection with employment matters
- JD from a top tier law school, with at least 10 years of experience, including at least five years of experience at a national law firm, handling employment issues in a demanding and innovative legal environment and admission to the California Bar, are all strongly preferred
- World-class expertise in employment counseling and litigation or litigation management, with a strong understanding of California and federal employment law; prior in-house experience at an international company is strongly preferred
- Track record of delivering pragmatic, business-oriented solutions to novel legal problems and resolving disputes efficiently and effectively
- Proven ability to identify, prioritize and resolve issues quickly and independently
- Strong work ethic, exceptional judgment and impeccable integrity
- Excellent written and oral communication skills are a must
- Interest in building strong cross-functional relationships
As a distributed company, diversity drives our identity. Whether you’re looking to launch a new career or grow an existing one, Elastic is the type of company where you can balance great work with great life. Your age is only a number. It doesn’t matter if you’re just out of college or your children are; we need you for what you can do.
We strive to have parity of benefits across regions and while regulations differ from place to place, we believe taking care of our people is the right thing to do.
- Competitive pay based on the work you do here and not your previous salary
- Health coverage for you and your family in many locations
- Ability to craft your calendar with flexible locations and schedules for many roles
- Generous number of vacation days each year
- Double your charitable giving - We match up to $1500 (or local currency equivalent)
- Up to 40 hours each year to use toward volunteer projects you love
- Embracing parenthood with minimum of 16 weeks of parental leave
Elastic is an Equal Employment employer committed to the principles of equal employment opportunity and affirmative action for all applicants and employees. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender perception or identity, national origin, age, marital status, protected veteran status, or disability status or any other basis protected by federal, state or local law, ordinance or regulation. Elastic also makes reasonable accommodations for disabled employees consistent with applicable law.