Director of Customer Support
Role: Director of Customer Support
Location: Austin, Texas
Reports to: Chief Insurance Officer
Hippo is modernizing home insurance by putting customers at the center of everything we do. Using innovative technology and a data-driven approach, we strive to provide homeowners with the best policies, best value, and best customer service in the industry. And as if that wasn’t enough, it’s really just the beginning. Hippo’s true ambition lies in helping prevent people from experiencing problems with their homes to begin with. Because, at the end of the day, the best home insurance policy is the one you never have to use.
Our fresh approach to home insurance clearly resonates with people. Hippo has grown 25% a month over the past year, has a customer satisfaction score more than double the industry average, and insures more than $90B in property value. We’re seeking the most passionate and skilled talent to redefine the role insurance plays in people’s lives.
About This Role
We’re seeking a Director of Customer Support for our Underwriting & Customer Support team in Austin, Texas. Hippo Insurance is an industry leader when it comes to pleasing our customers. In this leadership role, the Director of Customer Support will be responsible for identifying and developing all culture, process and performance improvements and efficiencies. You will also have the privilege of managing and developing an experienced team of P&C licensed support staff who have already been achieving NPS scores of double the industry standard.
- Strong communicator that is able to collaborate across all functional areas of the business
- You are skilled in developing strong talent and influencing change through process improvement, operational management practices and innovation
- You have the intellectual horsepower to think through and address various different business problems in parallel
- You are detail oriented, flexible and the ability to interact with and influence a diverse set of internal and external partners
- Works directly with Managers and Team Leads on the team to monitor and direct the workload and performance of the Underwriting & Customer Support team that spends about 80% of their time on support tasks and 20% of their time on Underwriting related work
- Point person on the team for day-to-day problem solving, acting as a liaison between the frontline support staff and senior leadership to drive continuous improvements
- Responsible for creating an operating model that will deliver growth, excellent customer experience and productivity against key performance indicators
- Provide executive leadership in driving a high performance culture capable of delivering the best customer experience by creating a work environment that fosters a positive culture & employee engagement
- Drive partnership with IT to provide business direction and prioritization in the development of state -of-the-art technology tools necessary to deliver effective service and drive digital transformation of contact center capabilities
- Responsible for headcount planning and participates in the budgeting process
- Manages vendor and external relationships for the company
- Participates in staff recruitment, performance assessments, training and career development
- Influence change through process improvement, operational management practices and innovation across the enterprise
- Leads a data driven culture to ensure adequate metrics, reporting and data are in place to manage call volume effectively
- At least 7+ years of strategic and operational leadership experience in a customer service environment
- Experience in running the operational aspects of customer support through multiple contact channels, including e-mail, chat and phone
- Customer centric service philosophy and understanding of the challenges in providing a world-class customer experience
- A successful track record in achieving and exceeding customer service goals in a fast-growing business.
- Experience in building strong teams, with driving the customer and employee experience
- Excellent leadership skills. Demonstrated ability to work in a fast-paced environment and ability to both influence and develop strong partnerships at all levels
- Exceptional business judgment with the ability to create sound frameworks to drive towards decisions and organizational alignment
- Experienced in long term, strategic thinking and short-term process efficiency
Compensation and Perks
- Beautiful offices located in downtown Austin, TX
- We have a kitchen full of free snacks and we provide catered lunch 3 times a week!!!
- Amazing benefits including options for 100% employer paid premiums for medical, dental & vision for the employee AND their family
- Flexible PTO
- Full time salary based on experience and equity in a fast-growing startup
- Fun, start-up environment -- casual dress, events, etc.
Hippo is an equal opportunity employer, and we are committed to building a team culture that celebrates diversity and inclusion.
Hippo’s applicants are considered solely based on their qualifications, without regard to an applicant’s disability or need for accommodation. Any Hippo applicant who requires reasonable accommodations during the application process should contact the Hippo’s People Team to make the need for an accommodation known.