Location: San Francisco, California, Cambridge, Massachusetts or remote
Invitae is dedicated to bringing comprehensive genetic information into mainstream medicine to improve healthcare for billions of people. Our team is driven to make a difference for the patients we serve. We are leading the transformation of the genetics industry, by making clinical-grade genetic information affordable and accessible to guide health decisions across all stages of life.
Our team is expanding rapidly and we’re looking for people who are passionate about helping improve healthcare to join us.
The Medical Affairs Director position is responsible for providing medical support in somatic oncology to achieve the objectives of Invitae’s US domestic sales, business development, and marketing teams. By providing the necessary professional medical presence at client interactions, at regional scientific conferences, and in discussions with key opinion leaders, healthcare institutions, and potential biotechnology partners, the MA Director of Molecular Pathology ensures that Invitae’s somatic oncology products and services are appropriately presented to and contextualized for clients and partners.
This role is also involved in performing due diligence on scientific and business opportunities in somatic oncology, and in securing partnerships that enhance Invitae’s mission of enabling access to genetic information for a broader population. Invitae routinely collaborates with academic, commercial, and other types of partners, including clinical centers of excellence, biopharmaceutical companies, healthcare businesses, and patient advocacy groups. This role is also responsible for researching and responding to RFPs related to somatic oncology, identifying and engaging key opinion leaders, and bridging relationships with professional and conference committees. The Medical Affairs Director role requires a deep understanding of clinical somatic oncology, molecular testing methodologies, interpretation of sequence and copy number variation, and current clinical trends, local standards of clinical care, and client expectations of services related to molecular oncology testing.
What you will do:
- Serving as an expert on the current state and future prospects for solid tumor somatic mutation testing on the management of patients with cancer. Identifying and developing relationships with key opinion leaders and with professional practice committees in the field of medical oncology
- Participating or overseeing key research that advances the science and clinical application of molecular testing of tumor specimen for diagnostic and disease monitoring purposes
- Supporting local laboratories and clinicians to help them use Invitae’s products to generate data in their labs (local evidence generation for regulated products)
- Collaborating with local laboratories and clinicians to generate data and publications to promote wider clinical use of Invitae’s somatic oncology products
- Interacting with biopharmaceutical partners, on request, to generate data prior to product launch, to provide ongoing support, and help navigate regulatory issues
- Identifying and securing scientific collaborations in genomic analysis of cancer. Responding to incoming collaboration requests and client inquiries in coordination with clinical program managers
- Educating clients on Invitae's test menu in coordination with the US sales field team
- Host and help organize speakers for professional education at local events
- Providing remote and on-site educational consultations on Invitae’s oncology products/services
- Engage with local committees, societies, and associations to drive discussions surrounding clinical utilization, product requirements, and establishment of clinical practice guidelines
- Delivering presentations and supporting Invitae’s sponsored sessions and booths at conferences
- Presenting at meetings with healthcare systems, third party payors, academic institutions, and others
- Supporting sales training upon request
- Guiding feedback on Invitae’s products and services to the sales and the Global Medical Affairs teams
- Preparing strong RFPs in response to opportunities in collaboration with clinical program managers
Who you are:
- Ph.D. or M.D. degree with professional training in somatic oncology. Certification required by the American Board of Pathology (with molecular genetic pathology certification) or the American Board of Medical Genetics and Genomics.
- Expertise in clinical molecular genetics as applicable to somatic oncology. Experience with NGS sequencing of tumor specimens.
- Experience in clinical research involving somatic tumor testing is preferred.
- >5 years director-level experience in medical affairs or a commercial clinical genetics laboratory setting
- Visible stature in the local medical genetics community through participation in academic and professional societies
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
By joining Invitae, you’ll work alongside some of the world’s experts in genetics and healthcare at the forefront of genetic medicine. We’ve created a culture that empowers our teams and our teammates to have the biggest impact and to explore their interests and capabilities. We prize freedom with accountability and offer significant flexibility, along with excellent benefits and competitive compensation in a fast-growing organization.
At Invitae, we value diversity and provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.