India’s largest IT service company is growing in Austin again.
Over the next two years, Tata Consultancy Services plans to hire 130 new employees in Austin, and 1,000 new employees across Texas. TCS’s announcement makes it the sixth-largest job creator in Austin so far this year, according to the Austin Chamber of Commerce. Over the next seven years, the company plans to invest more than $100 million in the Austin economy.
Surya Kant, chairman of TCS North America, said that, as the economy begins to recover from the COVID-19 pandemic, TCS expects to add 10,000 employees in the United States over the next two years.
“Enterprises are partnering with TCS to accelerate their innovation, enhance their operational resilience and deliver superior customer experiences,” Kant said in a statement. “To support our business growth, we are committed to recruiting training and developing the best local talent, as we continue to invest in Texas and across the U.S.”
The Top 10 Largest Job Creators in Austin in 2020
- In 2020, Tesla announced plans to hire 5,000 new employees in Austin.
- Amazon announced plans to hire 2,150 new employees in the Austin area.
- Dell Children’s Hospital announced plans to hire 740 employees in Austin.
- BAE Systems announced plans to hire 700 employees in Austin.
- Flex Health and Realtor.com each announced plans to hire 600 employees in Austin.
- Tata Consultancy Services announced plans to hire 530 employees in Austin.
- Texas Children’s Hospital announced plans to hire 400 employees in Austin.
- Magnitude Software announced plans to hire 300 employees in Austin.
- Auctane announced plans to hire 230 employees in Austin.
- Cloudfare announced plans to hire 214 employees in Austin.
Over the past 40 years, TCS said it has helped more than a third of the companies listed on the Fortune 500 digitize their business. The company claims to be one of the largest recruiters of IT talent in the U.S., hiring more than 21,500 IT professionals in the past five years. TCS has more than 30 offices across the U.S.
Since 2019, TCS said it has hired more than 200 employees in Austin. This expanded hiring spree will add to the more than 400 employees TCS currently has in the city, nearly all of whom are set to work in the company’s new campus in North Austin at 13929 Center Lake Drive. The new facility is set to open in late December.
Governor Greg Abbott said TCS’s local investment is a testament to Texas’ growing status as a technology hub. TCS currently employs more than 5,500 people across Texas.
“The Lone Star State is the premier economic destination in America thanks to our business-friendly environment, low taxes, high skilled workforce and partnerships with innovative companies like TCS,” Abbott said in a statement.
In addition to hiring locally, TCS is also plans to expand its Ignite My Future in School initiative, an educational program that aims to embed computational thinking in math, science, arts and social studies. The program was created with Discovery Education, and TCS said the initiative has now worked with 15,500 teachers in the U.S., and is used by 900,000 students in kindergarten through high school. In Austin, more than 400 teachers use Ignite My Future in School.
TCS also operates goIT, an educational program that aims to teach students design thinking, problem solving and promote career readiness. The company said goIT has been used by more than 700 students — the majority of them women — over the past seven years.