Staff Security Engineer at Expedia Group
The Security Engineer departing this role has sole responsibility for maintaining and improving the existing Splunk instance and infrastructure at the center of 100% of Vrbo’s security operations. As we continue our efforts to merge Vrbo security operations into Cyber Defense and CSIRT, it is essential that this infrastructure remains stable and functional. In addition, EGS is moving to make much greater use of Splunk to support our day-to-day operations for investigations spanning all of EG.
As we move forward, we will need a strong engineer who can take point on extending the things that we want to beg, borrow, and steal from the Vrbo instance over to a global Splunk architecture, but who can also keep up with the day-to-day operations of leading and maintaining what we already have.
Who You Are
- Maintain and improve SOC logging and SIEM infrastructure, including PCI Compliance requirements related to this infrastructure.
- Lead the development and maintenance of a Splunk and Splunk ES Environment.
- Help develop, maintain, and improve security monitoring and alerting to improve SOC visibility and response.
- Work with SOC team on content creation and notable tuning.
- Develop and maintain documentation around the implementation and operations of tooling, log flows, and response to pages.
- Maintaining the interconnect between various security event sources: server logs, network, various security devices, threat feeds, antivirus, malware, vulnerability scanners, net flow, etc.
- Participate in project teams providing consultation on security engineering / DevOps initiatives.
- Developing new Processes and Procedures.
- Participate in on-call rotation to provide 24/7 support for Splunk and logging infrastructure.
Who You Are
- A degree in Computer Science, or equal work experience
- At least 2 years in this environment
- 2 years Linux administration - Networking (routing and switching)
- Splunk Centric Certs, CompTIA Certs, SANS Certs, Code Bootcamp
- Hands-on Splunk administration experience.
- Working knowledge of a scripting language: Python preferred.
- Distributed version control systems (Git/Github), pipeline technology (Jenkins, rundeck)
- Technical knowledge with a focus in systems administration, security engineering, and networking.
- Creative problem-solving approach to projects.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong analytical capabilities and have a desire to learn new things.
- Resourceful and well organized.
- Willingness to provide feedback in challenging situations.
Benefits & Perks
- Competitive health and insurance benefits
- Competitive salary
- Annual target bonus or commission
- Parental leave for up to 20 weeks (dependent on eligibility)
- Paid vacation and sick time
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Free snacks and beverages
- Frequent company update talks with our leadership team
- Free listing on vrbo.com
- Electronic, adjustable stand-up desk
- Discounted Metro & Rail pass
- Casual dress
Why Join Us
Expedia Group recognizes our success is dependent on the success of our people. We are the world's travel platform, made up of the most knowledgeable, passionate, and creative people in our business. Our brands recognize the power of travel to break down barriers and make people's lives better – that responsibility inspires us to be the place where exceptional people want to do their best work and to provide them with tools to do so.
Whether you're applying to work in engineering or customer support, marketing, or lodging supply, at Expedia Group we act as one team, working towards a common goal; to bring the world within reach. We relentlessly strive for better, but not at the cost of the customer. We act with humility and optimism, respecting ideas big and small. We value diversity and voices of all volumes. We are a global organization but keep our feet on the ground so we can act fast and stay simple. Our teams also have the chance to give back on a local level and make a difference through our corporate social responsibility program, Expedia Cares.
If you have a hunger to make a difference with one of the most loved consumer brands in the world and to work in the dynamic travel industry, this is the job for you.
Our family of travel brands includes: Brand Expedia®, Hotels.com®, Expedia® Partner Solutions, Egencia®, trivago®, HomeAway®, Orbitz®, Travelocity®, Wotif®, lastminute.com.au®, ebookers®, CheapTickets®, Hotwire®, Classic Vacations®, Expedia® Media Solutions, CarRentals.com™, Expedia Local Expert®, Expedia® CruiseShipCenters®, SilverRail Technologies, Inc., ALICE, and Traveldoo®.
In 1995, Vrbo introduced a new way for people to travel together, pairing homeowners with families and friends looking for places to stay. We were grounded in one purpose: To give people the space they need to drop the distractions of everyday life and simply be together. Since then, we've grown into a global community of homeowners and travelers, with unique properties in 190 countries around the world. Vrbo makes it easy and fun to book cabins, condos, beach houses, and every kind of space in between.
Vrbo is part of VRBO and the Expedia Group family of brands and offers homeowners and property managers exposure to over 750 million visits to Expedia Group sites each month. To learn more, visit www.vrbo.com.
Expedia is committed to creating an inclusive work environment with a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. This employer participates in E-Verify. The employer will provide the Social Security Administration (SSA) and, if necessary, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) with information from each new employee's I-9 to confirm work authorization.