We're seeking a Mortgage Underwriter to join us in delivering on our mission of building a simpler, more streamlined and customer-centric home buying and selling experience.
We give homeowners the freedom to buy the home they want before selling their existing one. Customers tell us about their home and financial situation, and then we provide them with funds to confidently secure their next home with a competitive all-cash offer. This saves them stress from having to list their house without knowing where they are going next, and makes the process of buying and selling a home as predictable and easy as it should be.
Homeward was started in 2018 by Tim Heyl, a 10-year industry veteran and owner of one of the fastest growing agent teams in the U.S. We're passionate about our mission to empower customers and their agent partners to buy before they sell while making the entire experience more convenient and certain. We've attracted a strong early customer base in Texas, Colorado, and Georgia, and are building our team to help us deliver our unique solution, and continue evolving our business.
Homeward is backed by top-tier venture investors - Adams Street, Javelin, and LiveOak. We’ve raised over $25 million in equity to grow the business, and have secured over $100 million in debt to buy homes for our customers. Our leadership team includes experts from the real estate, mortgage, and technology spaces.
About the opportunity
The Homeward Mortgage Team is responsible for conducting the financial review and approval of every customer that works with Homeward. We’re focused on bringing financial innovations to life and delivering a seamlessly integrated mortgage experience. We are the newest team at Homeward and are looking for subject matter experts and business people with an entrepreneur's mindset and ability to get stuff done.
As part of the team, you’ll be ensuring that we work with high-qualified customers meeting Homeward’s eligibility criteria. Your role is to support the optimization of our mortgage underwriting policies and procedures to ensure we originate high-quality loans that conform to investor and internal requirements. This position will challenge your ability to establish and implement complex operational processes while working cross-functionally with other critical teams including product, engineering, and customer experience among others.
Note: This role may require some weekend availability.
Responsibilities will include:
- Underwriting agency conforming and jumbo residential mortgage loans
- Contributing to the ground-up build out of our mortgage origination process
- Collaborating with internal teams to creatively solution for challenging underwriting scenarios
- Reviewing escalation and exception requests
- Shaping Homeward’s transaction eligibility requirements and related underwriting processes
- 3+ years of experience underwriting FNMA, FHLMC, FHA and Non-Conforming (Jumbo) mortgages, wholesale underwriting experience a plus
- Expert knowledge of Desktop Underwriter (DU) and purchase mortgage underwriting
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, high production environment
- The drive to build something new