Manager, Named Engineers at MongoDB
MongoDB is on a mission to become the data platform of the future! Our tens of thousands of customers span every industry and include an incredible portfolio of customers, from household name brands to innumerable “next big” startups, incubating in our developer-centric ecosystem.
We have an incredible opportunity for an entrepreneurial leader to join the MongoDB Technical Services team, taking over responsibility for leading all aspects of the Named Technical Services Engineer (NTSE) program in EMEA. NTSE is a premium service offering which partners a team of MongoDB’s most knowledgeable engineers with our customers to ensure sustained success with the MongoDB product portfolio.
The responsibilities of an NTSE and the NTSE team all revolve around helping customers confidently scale their usage of MongoDB. Typical activities of the NTSE include:
- Planning for future scale: Providing guidance on scale-up and scale-out strategies, assessing new features for potential use, and tuning
- Providing focal support: coordinating internal MongoDB resources to ensure high context support across the whole team as well as advocating for the customer with our Engineering and Product teams.
- Handling the unplanned: helping ensure the customer is hearing from a familiar voice when they have “bump in the night” issues which could be negatively impacting their MongoDB deployments
A successful NTSE develops a close partnership with our customers to help thems make MongoDB the obvious choice for re-platforming existing applications or building new ones for the customer.The Manager, NTSE is responsible for
- Providing operational oversight for the delivery of NTSE engagements sold to accounts in the Americas (including delivery of such service in other regions when global NTSE teams are assigned)
- Driving NTSE revenue retention, including forecasting and action planning to ensure value confirmation occurs
- Working with sales and customer success to promote NTSE in net new opportunities as well as existing accounts
- Maintaining a capacity plan in conjunction with operations to ensure consistent resourcing for NTSE engagements based on sales plan
- Collaborating with the global NTSE program manager on handling the defined offerings for NTSE and keeping the service catalog up-to-date
The Technical Services team is growing quickly. This role will have a significant impact on the success of the global organization, helping to scale-up the NTSE offering as well as other premium services which will be added over time.Team Overview
Technical Services has nearly 200 distributed team members in offices spanning the entire globe. The Americas team has offices in New York City, Austin, Palo Alto, Toronto, Vancouver, and Buenos Aires. Outstanding customer happiness is achieved utilizing a 24x7x365 ‘follow-the-sun’ support model with regional teams covering the Americas, EMEA and APAC regions.Required
- At least eight (8) years experience in a highly technical, post-sale role at a software company in either Customer Support or Professional Services
- Prior experience leading a revenue-generating, customer-facing professional services function or similar
- Ability to support on-site visits with customers, and competently run a presentation to a group of up to 30 people
- Ability to lead by influence, promoting accountability across reporting relationships within Technical Services
- Prior work at a database company, specifically in the NoSQL space, within a SaaS organisation or a similar highly concurrent distributed system used in production architectures.
- Prior direct people management experience.
- Prior experience as a software engineer is desirable, as MongoDB is a very technical product and successful candidates typically are comfortable programming, writing queries, and operating in a command shell.
- Within 30 days
- Complete our new hire technical training program; ability to speak expertly about our total portfolio of products
- Be able to navigate our core products at a beginner level
- Within 60 days
- Be highly conversant about the NTSE offering including value proposition and delivery approach
- Begin directly reviewing the health of individual NTSE engagements and plan activities around driving value confirmation
- Within 90 days
- Produce and share a training plan for promoting more consistency of NTSE delivery in the EMEA
- At 120 days and onward:
- Implement a consistent, monthly (or more frequent) NTSE forecasting cadence
- Begin driving a program for NTSE revenue retention, including early detection of “at risk” accounts and execution of vital corrective actions to promote saves
- Identify new NTSE opportunities from existing customer interactions with Technical Services
MongoDB, Inc. provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.